Shad @ Fletchers, 4-1-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad @ Fletchers, 4-1-13

I returned to Fletchers again today, 4-1-13, to pick up where I had left off yesterday…but conditions had changed in unexplained ways and shad fishing was well off from what I had experienced the day before.

I fished from 11:00am-2:00pm as the same place as yesterday. I did manage to catch 12 hickories but they were mostly small males with a few medium females. I was fishing from shore using the same rig I used yesterday except I tried a variety of colors of crappie tubes. Almost all colors worked, but only so-so.

I suspect that all the very nice female hickories of this current pulse had either spawned and left the river… or they may have moved farther upriver… or maybe are laying low today… or you fill in the ______! Anyway, I still had a good time.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Thanks for the update!
    Hobie Outback
    WS Tarpon
    IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

I was thinking of hitting up Fletcher's what are the launch fees.
      Ed
      Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

It's free for a cartop launch at Fletchers. But you can not launch private boats at the boat rental area. BOAT TRAILERS NOT ALLOWED!, You'll see why when you get there. You must drive to the far end of the parking lot and carry in over 200' of easy flat terrain. Kayak wheels would be a major plus at this put-in.

Also, what ever vehicle you transport your kayak on must fit thru this tunnel, ~84" of clearance, but don't hold me to that.

Troll Tunnel.jpg

Here's a link to the Fletcher's website.

http://www.fletcherscove.com/index.htm

Buried in this website is a description of the local traffic issues that will impact your drive there. I will C&P the directions below:

=====================================
        Access to Fletcher's Cove
        Last Updated by Mike on Mar 25, 2012
        Access to Fletcher's Cove via road is somewhat complex. Add the traffic flow restrictions and you are in for a challenge. On weekdays from 6:15 – 10:15 AM traffic is one way inbound (toward downtown DC). The easiest way to enter the park is to pull off as you approach the driveway located opposite where Reservoir Road merges with Canal and then back down the 100 foot entrance. On most weekday evenings from 2:45 – 6:15 PM the traffic flow is two lanes outbound. The easiest way in during this time is to come down Reservoir Road and wait for a break to pull down into the park. All other times the traffic is two way. Google Street View of this location is very helpful. There are two main parking areas. The upper lot as you pull in or the much larger lower lot only accessible by the driveway which runs parallel to the wall and goes through what looks like an impassable one vehicle tunnel.
        =====================================
        Howard

Comment

Went to Fletcher's the first time yesterday and that turnoff is something. I was there around 8am with the one way traffic and missed the turnoff the first time and had to backtrack and do a bunch of illegal moves. Ended up doing the same thing they suggested and just backed down the ramp. Even with a compact and hugging the far lane as close as I could with traffic I couldn't make the U turn. Pretty place just a pain to get to.
          -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by quikdrive View Post
            Went to Fletcher's the first time yesterday and that turnoff is something. I was there around 8am with the one way traffic and missed the turnoff the first time and had to backtrack and do a bunch of illegal moves.
            It’s a shame that MKF forums do not have a “ROTFL” icon (rolling on the floor laughing). I could have used it to lead off my response to your response. Both I and 100s, maybe 1000s, of other Fletchers first-timers have been in the same predicament that you were in as you approached the Fletchers turn… and drove right on past it. That’s why I STRONGLY suggest first-timers go explore the Fletchers area early Sunday morning when traffic patterns are the most benevolent towards mistakes.

I use the back-down solution but only when I arrive before 6:00am when its highly unlikely that anyone will be coming out the Fletchers 1-lane entrance. I mean, what would you do if someone was already trying to exit from Fletchers at the same time you were trying to back down??? To sum it up, there is no good solution to getting into Fletchers. The best solution changes with the hour and with the traffic pattern in effect at the moment of turning. I find it hard to believe this situation has been allowed to persist for decades without something being done to at least minimize the dangers involved with entering/exiting Fletchers.

I approach Fletchers from the Beltway then take Clara Barton Parkway which morphs into Canal Road. During weekdays I never ever plan on arriving at Fletchers between 6:00am to 10:15am...NEVER!!!. If I arrive before 6:00am then I back down the entrance. If I arrive after 10:15am then I take Arizona Ave off of Canal Road, right on Macarthur Blvd, sharp right on Reservoir Road. DO NOT arrive at Reservoir Road before 10:15am!!! Then wait for a break in the traffic to shoot across Canal Road into Fletchers. It’s all a crap shoot each time.

Soooo…. Did you make it through the Troll Tunnel to the lower parking lot???
            Howard

Comment

Yeah I made it thru the troll tunnel. I am sure I had plenty of room to spare but it felt snug.

I am like you and cannot get over they haven't modified that intersection.
              -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

My closest encounter with the Troll Tunnel was when I drove through with an Oldtown 16' Camper Canoe on top of my 1996 Jeep Cherokee. I did a walk-though first measuring clearances with a tape meassure as I walked through. I determined that as long as I stayed centered I had a minimum of 4" clearance at a few locations. Also, clearance is by far the least in the first 20' of the tunnel. After that the clearance increases by several inches as you approach the far end.

Now, I drive a Subaru Outback that is substantially lower then the Cherokee... no sweat'in bullets now going thru the tunnel... but I still need to take along spare skivvies in case the turn into Fletchers hits a major snag.

I've lost tract of the times I have been fishing Fletchers when the quiet, misty/foggy morning silence was shattered by the distant sound squealing tires, blaring horns, then minutes later a bevy of approaching sirens from police cars and ambulance arrives to cart away the aftermath of yet another wreak at the entrance to Fletchers.
                Howard

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am going to scout it out Sunday along with Turkey run and ft Marcy parks although I understand the to Va side parks have some pretty steep trails down to the river. If launching from Fletcher's are Dc permits required?
                  Ed
                  Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Yes, you will need a DC fishing license to fish in any of the waters of DC to include the Potomac. A non-resident is $13 for a full year. Fletchers sells licenses.
                    Howard

Comment

Working...
                    X