Tog Limit! O.C. 3-29-13, Fri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tog Limit! O.C. 3-29-13, Fri

As I reported earlier, a few weeks ago I, and about a dozen other anglers, went out on a tog trip aboard the Morning Star out of Ocean City Inlet. We were all skunked that day.

Not this time.

It turned out to be a nice day. Mostly sunny with winds about 5-10 knots. Air temp at 50. Seas were maybe two feet. We departed about 6 am Friday on the Morning Star for an 11-hour trip with a dozen anglers onboard. Target fish was tautog.

We rode over 2 hours to get to our first fishing spot. With mostly green crab on double hook rigs, we fished in about 150 feet of water with 12 ounce sinkers. We caught mostly short togs (16" is min). We pulled up and went to a second spot. This is where the real action happened.

On my second drop of green crab on a double hook rig, and within 10 seconds, I felt the familiar tap-tap. I set the set, and pulled up a feisty keeper. But that was not the highlight of my day. On the next drop, again I felt the tap-tap and set the hook. Fish on! This time the fish fought hard. It spooled my reel. It felt like a ton of bricks..lol... I fought it a bit and finally brought it to the surface. It was double! I couldn't believe it. The larger tog turned out to be 26 1/2 " and 14 lbs. What a bruiser.

I went on to catch two more keepers. Since the limit is four, I gave one to the mate. There were two other anglers who caught their limit. Most anglers caught 1-3 keepers. Sadly, some anglers didn't catch any togs.

My total tog catch:
    2 togs that came off half way up
    5 keepers (took home 22, 23, 23, 26 1/2")
    2 shorts

Overall, my best tog trip yet.

Notes:
    - I learned a new tog rig, which is different from the rig I use on my yak. At the end of a four foot leader is a loop with the sinker. A few inches above the sinker is a dropper loop with two 4-8 inch lines attached to 3/0 hooks. The hooks dangle below the sinker. Most everyone used this set up, and it seemed effective.
    - Looking for a new tog rod, I picked up a 7' Teramar from Redfish the other day. It was a bit on the stiff side, but it did well. Handled the 12-oz sinker very well. Got the quick sets I wanted. It really shined when I pulled up the double. Good strong backbone, and has balls to handle heavier sinkers. I also tried my Abu 6600 C3. It did well, even with the paddle handle turning a 5.3 gear ratio, but it's a bit weak when pulling big togs. I prefer a more rigid reel.
    - A couple anglers from New Jersey brought some "white legger" crab for bait (pic). Didn't seem to work any better than green crab. In fact, shrimp, white legger crab and green crab all seem to work equally.
    - After a person caught a tog, the mate would take the fish and dunk it in a bucket of water for a while to "bleed" the fish. This drains the fish of blood so the flesh tastes better.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 03-30-2013, 04:51 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Very nice. Looks like you did really well.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Really nice togs- a very tasty fish-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

That's a huge tog! Congrats Efren! Glad the rod worked out, told you it was stiff!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
          That's a huge tog! Congrats Efren! Glad the rod worked out, told you it was stiff!
          Yeah, Mike. Awesome rod, especially when big ones hit. Thanks for persuading me.

Comment

Have you guys seen such a wonderful sight of tog fillets?
            Attached Files

Comment

WTG Tufnik... Those Tog are huuugeeee!!!! Man you're making me wanna go back out with Monty again!!! As I needed much persuasion. LOL. But it's so cruel of you posting those fillets! Now you're just rubbing it in!

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                WTG Tufnik... Those Tog are huuugeeee!!!! Man you're making me wanna go back out with Monty again!!! As I needed much persuasion. LOL. But it's so cruel of you posting those fillets! Now you're just rubbing it in!
                Ok, Ok, .....I won't post the golden fried and oh-so-succulent fillets cooked to tantalizing perfection..............................burp.....

Comment

Looks like a great time, congrats on the togs! Hopefully you have some freezer space left after that pile-o-fish.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Lol!!!

Comment

Very Nice! Who needs Easter Ham when you can have Easter Tog!
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice job catching and Interesting rig! So it looks like the two hooks have a dropper loop in the middle that is looped to the dropper off the leader to the weight? What size leader material were folks using? 50lb? Been a while since ive caught any tog. Looks like a lot of fun though!

Comment

Originally posted by muldoon View Post
                          Nice job catching and Interesting rig! So it looks like the two hooks have a dropper loop in the middle that is looped to the dropper off the leader to the weight? What size leader material were folks using? 50lb? Been a while since ive caught any tog. Looks like a lot of fun though!
                          The mate tied the rig for me, and I kept the rig. I use 50# mono leaders, but his line is thicker, maybe 60-80#. Here's what his rig looks like:
                          - Two pieces: one about 6 ft, and one at about 18 inches
                          - Put a dropper loop in the middle of the short piece, then snell a hook on each end
                          - On the longer piece
                          -- tie a surgeon's loop on one end; the loop should be about 2-3 ft long
                          -- at the end of the loop, tie a second surgeon's loop, but don't tighten it all the way (leave about a 1/4 inch circle); the loop should be about 3 inches long
                          -- insert the dropper of the shorter piece (with the two hooks) into the untightened circle of the longer piece; tighten the circle
                          -- at the end of the long piece, attach a sinker

The length between the end of the loop (the loop you attach the sinker) and the surgeon's tightened circle (knot) is about 3 inches. It's so short that I couldn't take the 12-oz sinker off. I think he attached the sinker before he attached the short hook piece. I think I would make that second surgeon's loop longer, maybe 5", to allow easy sinker attachment.

Note the overall length is about 6 ft. About 2-3 ft of the lower half has double line - for extra abrasion resistance.

I used two separate baits for the hooks. Some guys like to attach both hooks to a single bait piece. I don't know if the hook-up rate is higher on the later method.

Anyway, looks like an effective rig. I may use it on my yak trips when I fish pilings. In the past, I've used the popular 4-5 ft leader with a sinker at the bottom and two droppers (each with a hook) located about 6" and 12" above the sinker.
                          Last edited by tufnik; 03-31-2013, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X