South river, 11-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South river, 11-30

I just got back from fishing. It was a ruff ride today. However, it was worth it. I caught 11 rockfish, with the largest being 24 inches. The wind was blowing directly from the bay into the mouth of the South River. Any South or Southeast wind generally blows right into the mouth of the river. Some of the waves were at least three feet. However, I thought I would give it a try. I went to the southern shore trying to get some shelter, with no luck. I then decided to try to make it to my normal fishing area, in spite of the rough conditions. On the way there, about in the middle of the river I caught one fish, on a deep diver.

I continued on out towards the #4 marker. I caught another fish on the way there. Shortly after I saw some birds working, at a point where the the water goes from about 15' of water to about 5'. I still had along way to go. I went in there and had an instant hook up with a mongo rockfish. Bad news, he wore through my leader. I lost him. I am going to have to go from the 25lb florocarbon to 30lb. It was a really nice fish, long runs and huge head shakes. Too bad, couldn't stop to feel bad, it was rough and the birds were working. Continued on and had to re-rig, when the other rod went down. That was the 24" fish. Got him in, finished re-rigging and got the kayak turned around and headed back to where the birds had been working. Doubled up this time and landed both fish. Somehow I lost the school of fish. I saw another group of birds working further out but by this time it was getting late, so I headed back.

I rounded the #6 marker and headed back to Hillsmere Marina by way of the channel. Just off the Hillsmere Beach one rod went down. Caught that one, about 18-19" Put that rod back in just as the other rod went down. This went on, and I caught 5 fish total in that area, and lost three. I have never caught that many fish that close to home. It was great. I am just glad that I kept the rods in the water that long. Sometimes, I pull the rods when I get into 11 or 12 feet of water on the way home. Like I said, I have not had much luck in the past in that area. It is amazing how with six lazer sharp hooks on a crank bait, a fish can get off.

It turned out to be a good day. Glad I stuck it out. I was using my usual Rapala, Luck Craft and Yo-Zuri combination of cranks. However, after last trip, I was also using a Yo-Zuri Hardcore Drum. I looks like a menhaden and similar to a red eye shad or Rattle Trap. This lure was running at about 5'. When going in shallow and chasing the birds, I would swap out a deep diver for the Hardcore Drum. It was the Hardcore Drum that caught the first fish on the way back, near home. It is so important to keep in mind the changing conditions. Most all of the fish were in the 18" to 20" size, with the one at 24". No time to measure all, as the weather was rough. Sorry I didn't get more photos, but between the wind and the fish, I was quite busy. I didn't keep any today. I only like to eat fish when it is very fresh, almost still fighting.

When I got back to the marina, the other boats had some luck too. A friend was fishing from the bulkhead facing the river. He was catching some jumbo white perch, on blood worms and squid.

PS: Looks like the fish have hit that optimum temperature. The water was 56 degrees. They are starting to look like fat little foot balls. Hope the weather allows fishing till the end of the season. May the patron saint of kayak fishers smile upon us.
    Attached Files

Sorry, that is supposed to be 11/03.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent report. Now I'm stoked for the November M&G. I'm sorry about your lost fish, but it's a good rush even if you didn't land it. Eleven more on top of that is icing on the cake.

That picture of the waves crashing over your bow is something else. Maybe it was fortunate that you didn't have to deal with a big fish boatside in those conditions.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Awesome report! Agree with Bill, definitely stoked for the next M&G!! The wave crashing over your bow looks like something from the North Atlantic! Hope you know what cooperates on the 13th...

Comment

awesome report thanks....what kind of reels are those?
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

The reels are Shimano, Calcutta TE, a 400 and a 401. I like to use a left hand reel and a right hand reel for the kayak. I have two flippin stick blanks that I am going to build into kayak trolling rods over the winter. They should be alittle stiffer than the standard casting rods, which I am using now.

Comment

WOW...those reels are nice...but expensive! Can anyone suggest a baitcasting reel that has a freespool baitrunner option...and of course affordable?

Comment

I might suggest for trolling, some of the lever drag reels, such as the Shimano Charter Special. You can use the lever drag to ease up on the drag until it is almost in free spool. Keep the drag just loose enough to hold the bait, but where a game fish won't feel it during the strike. Some of the less expensive lever drag reels might be your best bet.

If you don't need a conventional style reel, the new Ci4 spinning reel is a nice bait runner type spinning reel for saltwater.

Good Luck

Comment

Great report Dogfish! I'm really looking forward to fishing the south river next weekend instead of just driving over it on my way to the bridge! I'm heading to Bass Pro soon to pick up some items I've lost recently and get some deep divers + heavier leader.

Trout- There are tons of different reels out there and some will perform better than others in the harsh salt environment of you kayak. If you're looking for an all around workhorse check out the penn 9m or 209. Works great for trolling, bottom fishing, and live-lining (although the clicker is really strong on these!). You can get them used on Ebay for 15-35 or new (china made though) for 65 most places. They are solid and easy to service/maintain. They are also heavy and not easy to cast at all.

I use Cardiffs now for my live-lining, but I've used Abu's and Pfluegers with out incident in the past. Check out Ebay and Swap markets this winter and you should be able to find some deals.

One other thing I don't see many on here using is a line counter reel. I got one on sale from Cabelas during the summer and it was very useful for live-lining and trolling. It allowed me to be consistent with my presentations and I was able to set my spot just above the depth I saw marks on my df. It worked well. I guess you could always just mark your line or braid for the same effect, but one break and you're done.
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

great report and nice haul on the fish. I love the pic of the wave crashing over the bow. Looks nasty out there.

I'm going to have to hit dicks before the M&G next week. I don't have time to hit Bass Pro shops so hopefully they will have some cranks at dicks to add to my collection.

Those flippin stick blanks should make great trolling rods. What brand blanks are they if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

The blanks are St.Croix. I have taken to St.Croix blanks after Loomis stopped selling blanks for rodbuilders. If I would have known St.Croix made such great blanks, I would have switched some time ago. I still also use some Lamiglas blanks.

I wrote that report right when I got home. I was still alittle excited. It was a fun day.

Comment

Working...
                      X