Togs - Lewes, DE 3-17-13, Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Togs - Lewes, DE 3-17-13, Saturday

Departed after 7am Saturday on the Thelma Dale with about a dozen anglers. There was a lot of room on the 115' boat where the Captain normally targets over 30 anglers.

It was cloudy with winds about 10-15 knots. The sun did peek out for short while so the mostly cloudy day wasn't bad at all. Seas were 3-4 feet.

We rode over 2 hours to get to our first fishing spot. With fresh clams on the rigs, we fished in less than 100 feet, but we all ended up with nothing. We went to another spot. This time we tried clams and green crabs. Again, nothing.

The Captain decided to go to deeper water, and after an hour and half of cruising, we settled over structure 150 feet below. Snags were more frequent here with as much as 12-ounce sinkers, but the bite was on. Everyone caught at least one keeper tog. No one limited out (5). A few ling cods were also caught. I caught three togs (only 1 keeper, at 22") and a dogfish (shark). Too bad I didn't enter the fish contest because I would have won with my 22 incher.

One the things I like to do on these trips is look at rods/reels used by other anglers. Everyone brought their own gear. One angler used an electric reel. I paid closer attention to the tog rods. There were all kinds. One angler used a 9 footer (with spinner) and he caught a lot of togs (3 were keepers). The angler next to me used a stout 5 foot rod with a Jigmaster reel. He caught about a half dozen togs (3 keepers) with that combo. It surprised me because the combo didn't seem sensitive enough to feel subtle taps from small togs in deep water.

Overall, good trip. Weather was better than expected, and I took home dinner.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 03-17-2013, 09:42 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

WTG Tufnik!! Much better results than last trip! That boat looks like a nice setup! I REALLY like the seating inside! LOL What rod/reel combo did you use? Was this on one of your new boat rods that you picked up?

Comment

nice pics, thanks
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
        WTG Tufnik!! Much better results than last trip! That boat looks like a nice setup! I REALLY like the seating inside! LOL What rod/reel combo did you use? Was this on one of your new boat rods that you picked up?
        Yeah, there was so much room I got two seats to myself, and I slept LENGTH-WISE on one of them ......comfortable.....lol...

I used my new Sealine SL20SH (actually bought used at the MKF flea market) and an Inshore Angler 7' (rated to 3 ounces) rod I picked up at another flea market. It's suppose to be my back-up tog rod for the yak. I wanted to try it on the boat. I like the light weight and it did the job, but it's really not for the boat because when you hang 10-12 ounces it's not as quick in setting the hook. I really need a stiffer rod for quicker sets. So, I'm looking for another tog rod that can hang up to 12 ounces. For heavier sinkers, I can use my other boat rods. The reel (with 200 yds of 50# braid) did well, but I'm thinking a level-wind would be nicer to use.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tufnik; 03-17-2013, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Looks like a fun trip! I need to go on one of these long range trips one of these days. Let me know if you want that telephone pole I have!
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Yeah I quickly learned that a non-levelwind reel while reeling up over 100 feet of line and a 12+ oz sinker and a fish(or no fish) is work!!! LOL

I used 12 oz. on my Trevala and it handed it like a champ!! The current got strong while we were out there and had to jump to 20 ozs, so I switched ove to my Airwave. Both rods shined! I still need to get on my Tog!!

Comment

What's the spec on your telephone pole, Mike?

What Trevala and Airwave rods do you have, MYTM?

Comment

Great report and nice tautog!!! First tog I hear of this year... I'm glad they want to play once again.

12 ounces?? wow....
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Trevala is the TVC66MH
                  Airwave is TSAWBC-661MHJ

The Airwave is definitely much more stout, but still sensitive and light. I should have attached a 20 oz to the Trevala just because, but I didn't want to miss the bite fooling around with experiments! LOL

Comment

Nice fish Tufnik
                    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Tufnik I still have that Tsunami Airwave for sale you were checking out at the flea market. Its the same one that MytMouse mentioned. Brand New with Tag still on it. Let me know if you are interested.

Comment

Tufnik,
                        Clear out some PM space.

MYT

Comment

Sorry guys, PMs cleaned out. We can also do email too if you send your address.

Comment

Working...
                          X