Columbia River- Oregon April 13-14th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia River- Oregon April 13-14th

Got a spring Chinook trip booked on the Columbia/Williamette in mid-April- wouldn't mind bringing home fifty or so pounds of fresh caught wild salmon filets like last year- yummm....
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Do yourself a favor and eat here http://www.pinestatebiscuits.com/ while in portland. It's classic. and catch a couple nice spring chinook!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Meeting a couple of guys at Salty's on the Columbia for lunch the 12th- Great place to eat and have a cocktail or two-

Comment

Salty's I know it well.....

Comment

Oh my... that biscuit is mouth watering... Have fun out there Ron!

Comment

Awesome. Enjoy!

Fly fishing? or.... trolling?
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

We usually anchor and back troll with quick fish

Comment

Yeah, that Reggie looks really good. Don't forget to take and bring back lots of pics. Good luck!
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

You really need some good rain gear to fish the Northwest- I fish this every year- and I am on the west coast about four times a year- I have the Cabala's Guide Gear Rain wear and a good pair of rubber chukar boots- the preferred baits are Quick Fish with sardine wrap, big custom made in line spinners, wiggle warts, plug cut herring...

Comment

Well, the earlier post about having some "really good rain gear" was prophetic- it rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock- 20-50 mph winds, mixed with sleet and snow....and we were the only boat Saturday on the Young's Bay tributaries- Sunday was much nicer- colder but nicer- it only rained every thirty minutes to an hour between downpours- we were glad the Willie boat had auto bilge pumps- I can highly recommend the Cabela's Guide Wear H20Tech bibs and wading jacket- kept me dry through two days of hellish weather- the all rubber Bogs chucker boots were great, too- and we were the only boat that caught Chinook salmon both days- I'll re-post pictures later- got to go on my business work right now- some really nice fish- they fought super in the 46 degree waters- first year where we had to use all barbless hooks, so we lost a lot of fish (5) when they jumped and did the head shake flipping the the lure out- caught a giant native we had to release (can't keep native chinooks)
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-15-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Here are a few of the pictures from this weekend's Chinook salmon fishing trip- we had nine fish hooked- four boated and one we had to release- not bad considering the terrible weather conditions- the pictures don't show it but it was miserable weather-

IMG code

Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Awesome RON!!! Looks like perfect salmon fishing weather! Or rather "Steelhead weather" as we used to call it...see famous silkscreen
                        Steelhead_Weather_green.jpg

Comment

Kevin- This is the first time that the Oregon Fishery regs called for barbless hooks- trying to get a chinook on barbless hooks in the landing net is a real treat- we lost some really nice fish trying to net them-

Comment

Nice fish... that looks like fun despite the weather... In one of those pics, you look content, but cold
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

We had just boated a 28-30 pound native Chinook (no clipped fin) that we released during a downpour- biggest fish of the trip and had to release it, so while it was fun catching, I was a bit sad we couldn't keep it- Yep, I was real content and satisfied, especially when no other boats had a fish hit a lure much less three in the fish box- the secret was a particular spinner and a way of rigging it that our host makes- he is a real fisherman! shame was he didn't catch a fish the whole weekend- he had four at the boat and all four came unbuttoned-

Comment

Working...
                              X