South River Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South River Report

It was such a nice day, about 2:00 I couldn't take it anymore. I dropped everything I had to do and went fishing. I got out about 4:00-4:30. I trolled around for about an hour and got my first fish, about an 18" rock. All the fish today were aroung 18'-19". Trolled for about another hour, got a second rock and a third about 1/2 hour later. All were on deep diving crankbaits.

Just about sunset or thereafter, I started to see large fish swirl on the surface as the kayak spooked them. I noticed a slick further in towards shore. I went nearer and could smell the faint melon smell of the menhaden oil. The rod went down. I made the mistake of slowing the trolling motor down, and the fish crossed my other line and made a huge mess. It was about a 19" rock. I don't normally kill the fish, but I thought of rockfish on the grill tonight. So I kept this one.

It was terrible, I was untangling the lines, which I had to cut to save time, and I could hear larger fish jumping an hitting bait. By the time I got rigged again, it was quite dark. I trolled for awile longer, but nothing. All in all it was a good trip.

The fish were in shallower than usual. I should also have had a shallow running crankbait out, as the fish tended to be up shallow this time out. There was lots of bait in towards the shallower flat. When I got back in to the marina some of the other fisherman from the other boats were also talking about how the fish were shallow. I've got to remember that next time out. It was a great day for fishing. Good conditions all around.

Attached Files

I hear you on the weather. It was great today. Thanks for the report and pics. I got to hit the store and pick up some cranks. Everything i have is either to small or too large. How was the fish? I love me some grilled rockfish.

I like the red belly hooks looks like a bleeding bait fish. Good idea. Are the minnow cranks both yozuris? I also like how you placed the flush mount scotty holders on the sides. Good idea.

Comment

The minnow lure on top is a Yo-Zuri. I think it is a hydra-minnow, or something like that. The minnow below is a Lucky Craft, silver with green top. The one to the far left is my favorite, which you may have heard me mention before. It is a Rapala, Shad Rap, deep diver. I think it is a number 8. These, except for the Yo-Zuri, are bass type crank baits. I do have some of the Rapala saltwater series. However, I use them in the spring or if the size of the fish I'm catching are larger. As a rule of thumb, these are the size I like to use. I do trade out the hooks for red. It is for just the reason you mentioned, that of bleeding. I also trade out the rear hook to one size larger. For salt water, I like to use 2X or 3X strong hooks. I have not noticed any loss of action in the lures. I also use some X-Raps in the same color as the one in the photo.

Another lure I like to use is the Yo-Zuri Hardcore. It is a lipless crankbait, similar to a redeye shad by Strike King. It is much like a Rattle Trap. There is one version of the Hardcore that looks alot like a menhaden. As I mentioned, I possibly should have had one shallow lure out today. The hardcore would have been great. Next time! Of course, by then conditions will have changed again. However, the lures in the photo are my most productive in this area.

Years ago, when I had my boat. I use to do well in this area with white bucktails with a white paddle shad body. I mostly use the crankbaits now, because you tie directly to the bait, without any weight in between.

Oh yes, the fish was great. Thanks.

Comment

Nice report! Got me pumped for the weekend and for a potential M&G in that area. I like fishing crankbaits as well. Mostly Bombers and Redfins. Some Manns & Rapalas. How big is the baitfish in the area? Could you tell whether rain minnows or bunker or both?

Bummer about the line tangle. Soooooo frustrating when you know the fish are there and being cooperative. Good catchin'!

Comment

Did you say "trolling motor"?

Comment

The baitfish is mostly bunker. The river is full of young of the year menhaden. That is what the rockfish are feeding on. They are about the size of the lures in the photo, 3" to 4".

Yes, I did say trolling motor. Its a bassyak motor. It works nice. I still have a paddle, but for trolling, I like the electric.

Attached Files
            Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-29-2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I just noticed something in your first pic. Is that an air horn in the cup holder? If so that's a great item to have i night.

Comment

Yes it is. I got this after a friend of mine told me about an older guy in his neighborhood with a 40 foot boat that ran into a 23 foot center console boat near the mouth of the Severn River. I thought that maybe some noise might help. Anything for safety.

The one thing about being in a kayak, is that you can hear a power boat comming from along way off.

Comment

Working...
                X