Pop this cherry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop this cherry...

Where is a good place to find crappie in Maryland? Seems everyone heads to occoquan....

^+1

what about the VA66 corridor? (work in that area)
    sigpic

Comment

Ha ha title could be a little more child friendly but whatever....anyway i'm not entirely sure, I actually go to Occoquan quite a bit although maybe Severn has some crappie.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Forgot about you Minh! I am a good ways from occoquan, but going to hit it up one of these days. I will hit you guys up for more info when it looks I might get to swing down there.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
          maybe Severn has some crappie.
          I have never heard of crappie in the Severn -- maybe they can be found all the way upstream near Indian Landing, but I don't think they are downstream in the brackish section.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Dont know about the severn I used to fish The marshy hope river near federalsburg md and catch some nice crappie along with bass and the white perch fishing there is excellent at times
            D Hawk
            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I heard of crappie being caught at many of the area lakes, Mattawoman, and Creeks in the Fort Washington area off of the Patomac.

Comment

Plenty of crappie in Triadelphia Reservoir, but the season doesn't open there until April 1.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Triadelphia isn't too far of a drive from work. I could hit that place up before hand.

Comment

Potomac river holds massive amounts of crappie , huge crappie as well.

i went in dec and landed 10 over 14 inches near the spoils.

if u launch in Virgina and paddle over to the Maryland side which is less then 1/4 mile. and fish in 13-20 ft you can hammer crappie all day
                    Zach Moore
                    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                    Bait Towel Pro Staff
                    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Troll the Branch Arms

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                      Thanks for the input guys. Triadelphia isn't too far of a drive from work. I could hit that place up before hand.
                      Find a fallen tree and troll a beetle spin slowly about 10 feet past the end of the tree. I've caught crappies while trolling beetle spins, x-raps, and using a bottom bouncer and nightcrawler worm harness and using the bouncer to troll floating rapala minnow lures. Firetiger, has worked well in stained conditions. In June I found plenty while trolling the branch arms of the reservoirs. You'll catch plenty of white perch and some yellow perch too.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                        Where is a good place to find crappie in Maryland? Seems everyone heads to occoquan....
                        I will keep an eye on this thread, I would love to catch crappie close to home. The only crappie I caught were in Loch Raven before my yak days. I hear there are some in the joppatowne quarry, but if you eat them, you might grow a third arm with all the heavy metal rumors in the local forums.
                        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

It would take me longer to peddle to the quarry than drive to the launch. I have heard about there too. I will have to hit that place up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                            Potomac river holds massive amounts of crappie , huge crappie as well.

i went in dec and landed 10 over 14 inches near the spoils.

if u launch in Virgina and paddle over to the Maryland side which is less then 1/4 mile. and fish in 13-20 ft you can hammer crappie all day
                            I'm not familiar with all the Potomac areas... where is this?
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Re: Tridelphia - I believe that for 2013, they lengthened the season for the WSSC reservoirs (Tridelphia, Rocky Gorge) from 3/15/13-11/30/13. They also increased the season permit to $70.
                              Last edited by deleonjo; 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM. Reason: incorrect info
                              John D.
                              2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                              GO RAVENS!!!
                              GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X