Lake Anna Stripers and Unscheduled Self Rescue Practice - Mar 02, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Anna Stripers and Unscheduled Self Rescue Practice - Mar 02, 2013

I decided to fish the mid-lake in Lake Anna, VA. The water in the mid-lake was colder than that of Dike 3, and I hoped I find bigger stripers.

I launched from the state park instead of Hunter's Landing. The water was stained. I couldn't use all underwater footage because stripers and lures weren't showing clearly on the videos.

I trolled hard. I pedaled over 25 miles to find stripers. I zigzagged over the ledges of many flats I found on the chart. That must have been the key. I think I was the only one caught stripers, four @18-20 inches

I got careless on the flat water as usual. I got overboard when I try to find a V8 on the bottom of the cooler behind the seat while pedaling.

Since I was wearing 3mm wetsuit, and a waist-high wader. I was OK in the water. I was fine until I came back to the boat ramp.

I went out again after wearing new set of cloths/wader. I caught one more striper that was short by 1/8 inch.

I gave the keeper to a nice couple for dinner.

The fishing Log:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Wow..... 25 miles......and you got dunked in cold water......and you gave dinner away after all that work. U da fishin' man!
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Good job as usual lucky you were prepared with an extra set of dry clothing. Even the more experienced get dunked from time to time I guess and means that I better start practicing self rescue before the start of the season.

Also it seems like you have finally mastered the Lake Anna Striper. However I have noticed that your V8 tends to show up a lot when you turtle maybe its a curse?
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Joe,

I am concerned about your recent polar bear club swimming activity. I am told there is a group you can join to assist you with your winter swimming addiction.=P

Good work on those rock fish! Would love to make it out there once the weather warms up a little.

Meadeo
        2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

I love all your reports.

I do a lot of trolling at my local reservoirs and your posts are inspiring me to troll some tandem fluke rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
            Joe,

I am concerned about your recent polar bear club swimming activity. I am told there is a group you can join to assist you with your winter swimming addiction.=P

Good work on those rock fish! Would love to make it out there once the weather warms up a little.

Meadeo
            If you want to hit the warm side for WP, give me a call on Thursday.

Joe
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
              Good job as usual lucky you were prepared with an extra set of dry clothing. Even the more experienced get dunked from time to time I guess and means that I better start practicing self rescue before the start of the season.

Also it seems like you have finally mastered the Lake Anna Striper. However I have noticed that your V8 tends to show up a lot when you turtle maybe its a curse?
              Good Point!!!.

V8 and kayak-fishing don't mix... I think I will come up with different drink. Or I just take a pinch of salt as I was in military - I will do it if I have to. My diet lacks salt. So I drink V8 - it comes with salt (plenty) especially during kayak-fishing. I usually drop 3lb after kayak fishing in winter - means dehydration definitely.

I know you are physically fit. Though, I think you still need one cold water self rescue practice. This way way, you will always tighten the straps of the PFD, and tighten the belt of the wader.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                I love all your reports.

I do a lot of trolling at my local reservoirs and your posts are inspiring me to troll some tandem fluke rigs.
                Yup!
                Fluke Rig it is. I am so glad that you wrote Fluke instead of Flounder
                Joe

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                  Wow..... 25 miles......and you got dunked in cold water......and you gave dinner away after all that work. U da fishin' man!
                  The couple brought a brand new boat and staying over the weekend. And she cooks whole fish. Besides, I had fun in planning and catching part (95% of fishing). Now they have to clean the dishes. Ha

Joe

Comment

I'm not sure how I would do the cold water self rescue practice...would I just jump in? I have fallen through ice before by being careless and know very well how cold the water is. Although my pdf is quite comfortable and is always strapped the belt is nonexistent and that means I need to put that on my list of things to buy for kayaking.

I have turtled before fishing in a tandem kayak when I was 12 and had to learn how to flip it on the spot I was not wearing a pdf but luckily the water was only about 6' of water needless to say I learned my lesson and am always careful.

Comment

Oh and I have never learned the difference between flounder and fluke.

Comment

Working...
                      X