Tog Trip - Ocean City, Thurs, 28 Feb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tog Trip - Ocean City, Thurs, 28 Feb

Inspired by the Sammich Gang, I went on a Morning Star tog & seabass trip yesterday. It was a last minute decision. My Rudee trip was canceled and another seabass trip out of Lewes was also canceled due to weather. Surprisingly, the MS trip was still on.

We departed 5:20 am and went out 2 1/2 hours, then fished a spot with green crabs. Nothing, so we pulled up and then went to another spot. The water there was even rougher. It was getting bad. The Captain had a tough time holding position. Waves came on deck. Pretty good swells. It was also breezy and cold. It was hard to fish, even with 16-20 ounces on the rig. The Captain decided to head in. The trip back in was rough, but we stopped at a third and final spot. The water was calmer, but we still had no bites.

Bottom line: all fourteen anglers caught nothing. Absolutely nothing. Total skunk. The Captain said his last skunk was back in 1993. So, this trip was a rarity.

Had fun chatting with the guys though. Lots of laughs. One guy passed around smoked tog. It was tasty. We were back at the dock at 5:15 pm. We got skunked, but that's fishing. I hope to go on the MS again soon.

Sorry, no fish pics, but you now have another interesting fish-less story.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Man that sucks about the skunk!! But I know it was for a lack of effort/trying! Maybe the fish are still holding really deep. Our trip was the long one so we went a lot further! I want to go out with him again in the spring/summer and see what I can pull up! But look at the bright side... I always say getting skunked is better than sitting at your desk at work!

Comment

The second fishing spot was about five hours out. Water was over 150' deep. The Captain said we tried at his best spots, but the fish had lockjaw...lol... Yeah, I'm glad I still went out because I hadn't dropped a rig in water in weeks... you know......withdrawal symptoms...lol...

Comment

Another reminder that even the pros get skunked every now and then. Then again, it's not always about catching fish.

Comment

Man, thats rough! On the bright side, you wont have to wait long to go get them on your kayak. I'm hoping to give it a try at the end of the month. What about you?
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Am planning to go again on the Morning Star 16 Mar, Ryan. In addition, I may go this Sun on the Thelma Dale, depending on wx.

Comment

Fishing is fishing...not called catching for a reason, Tuf...got to give it to you for trying in marginally conditions- can't say I haven't done the same or worse- makes you appreciate it when it is good- I went kayak fishing in Florida in Mosquito Lagoon last week- same story- super windy, overcast, lots of loose grass- couldn't buy a fish- same story 1st time ever my guide was skunked-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X