Windy, windy Merritt Island trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windy, windy Merritt Island trip

My much anticipated Mosquito Lagoon kayak trip was a blow out yesterday- We launched out of Moore Creek on the Merritt Island national wildlife refugee at 7 am- by 7:30 we had 20-30 SW winds (absolute worst possible wind direction to fish Indian River), couldn't get out of the wind no matter where we tried, loose balls of grass was all over the water everywhere- couldn't keep a clean lure if your life depended on it- Rob, my guide was great, though- hard working, great 1st class gear, nice kayaks, he found some fish, but we just couldn't connect- caught a half dozen of the dreaded gaftop catfish when we switched to cut mullet trying to fish the sand holes- we saw a couple of 40 inch fish but they were spooked- weather was just too sorry for us to fish and we called it an early day and headed in-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I just read up on what a Gafftopsail catfish was, those poisonous spines sound tricky to deal with! Supposed to be good eating, to me is a trash fish like an oyster toadfish.

Sorry the trip was so windy, thanks for sharing your story.
    What you give, you become.

Comment

Between the strong gusting SW winds, tons of loose grass and cloud cover any kind of sight casting was impossible- we tried every trick in the book, used many different searching lures blind casting to likely spots and finally resorting to cut mullet- beautiful nature scenes, lots of wild life, but no game fish hooked up- still beat staying in the hotel- got to paddle a Native Ultimate 14.5 Angler kayak with a Cannon carbon paddle- tracks nice, fast kayak, even into a strong wind.

Comment

Several of the guides I have fished with in Florida use the Ultimates for their clients. I like the boat overall, but the metal seat frame jabs my lower back. I much prefer the seat on my Native Manta Ray.

Sorry that the wind messed you up -- sounds like my Tampa Bay trip in Jan.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John I found the seat to be elevated to allow your posture a better opportunity not to have the numb butt syndrome- I had no issues at all with the seat- the fact that the Ultimate was an open boat and was similar to a canoe or SIK was my only issue- in flat, quiet waters this is a very nice boat- light, fast, tracks well- I would not put it in the Chesapeake Bay in anything other than a slick, calm day....and even then I would carry a bail out device-

Comment

Working...
          X