Weems Creek 10/22/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek 10/22/10

Mytmouse and I had a half day at work, so we planned on doing some fishing. We hit weems creek around 2pm. It was a bit breezy yesterday, but it wasnt too bad back there.

When we first hit the water, we trolled to the mouth of the Severn. The Severn was pretty choppy since it was out in the open wind. I guess we were feeling brave...we trolled up the Severn to the Rt. 50 bridge. It was a fun paddle...we fought the wind and the waves all the way up. It made for an easy drift on the way back.

We got back in the creek and paddled to our usual haunts. Fishing was slow, so I tried a new cove. This area produced semi-consistent hits, but it also produced consistent snags. I lost quite a bit of lures yesterday. I came away with a couple of decent size perch. I also caught a small blue gill, which surprised me. Mytmouse had one keeper perch and a short rockfish.

The fishing was slow for us but it was a great day out there nonetheless. We got a great workout with all of the paddling we did. My fishfinder install was a success, and I also learned how to access the bow storage area of my yak without falling out. Speaking of bow storage, my spray shield was tested today, as I had a few waves come over the bow on the Severn. I had my jacket in there...it stayed dry.

I was gonna go back out on the water today...but I owe the mrs some quality time later. I might go flying this afternoon though
    <insert witty comment here>

http://twitpic.com/303ox4

Comment

The creeks and tributaries of the Bay used to have lots of bluegills. Of course we used to call them sunfish. That was back when the Bay and creeks had lots of seaweed. The bluegill nests would be all over in the seaweed areas. The nests would be little sandy areas. We would call them sunny holes. There were lots of yellow perch too. So many species were linked to the seaweed, sunfish, yellow perch and pickerel. The Severn River was well known for its pickerel fishing. Its ashame, there used to be so many fish. Maybe some day.

Comment

Good Times!
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Yes they were!

Comment

i caught a large sunny in stoney creek last year, very pretty fish orange and blue markings.

Comment

Thats where I grew up, in Riviera Beach. When growing up, I probably caught thousands of sunfish out of that creek. As a little guy, we would dig some worms, catch sufish and use the sunfish as crab bait. We would then have a good number of crabs to steam. Now thats the food chain. Stoney Creek is a nice creek. Its been along time since I have been back that way. Also with the seaweed, you could catch enough grass shrimp to fish all day, with only a few dips of a net. So different now.

Comment

Thought I'd link it for you... sounds like a tough day but better than getting skunked!

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

i grew up right on weems creek and we used to catch a ton of perch there. i live in baltimore now but would love to get back in there and see if i cant take a few fish from my yak.
                  Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

They're there!

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                      Thought I'd link it for you... sounds like a tough day but better than getting skunked!

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

how/what do you guys usually fish in weems creek, i may stop by sometime over the next few weeks and see the parents after work and drop the yak in off my community dock.
                        Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

mdmakaira410,
                          I have had success with a beetle spin with either a white gulp mullet or a curly tail instead of that dumb thing that comes with it! LOL I go with the heavier ones... 1/4 oz... helps it get deeper a little quicker. But you can use rooster tails, or even a small spinnerbait.

MYT

Comment

Yeah, I have had success with just about anything small and flashy. Rooster tails, beetle spins, and a lil perch rich consisting of a spoon and a shad dart. Perch are pretty aggressive. I wanna try grass shrimp next time out there...

Comment

Working...
                            X