Can I sleep along the Shenandoah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I sleep along the Shenandoah?

A buddy and I are planning a long float down the South fork of the "DOAH". This will be a first for us both and we think we can travel 25 miles over 3 nights and 4 days. Since it's our first time on the doah, there are some questions I can't find through a goodle search.

Such as, is it possible to sleep along the river? There are campsites and outfitters scattered throughout, but what are the possibilities of picking my own spot in the woods, dragging my yak back there and setting up camp? It's surrounded by Nat'l forests and state parks, there's plenty of cover.

Another question I have is where the hot spots are on the South fork. 25 miles is a good stretch but not even half of the fork. Which 25 miles should we concentrate on.

If anyone has some good references or personal experiences and would like to share I would really appreciate it. We will be headed over there mid march so I hope the weather holds up for us and the river isn't too high.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

sounds like fun!

this link may have some info for you, but doesnt mention camping

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing...3&section=maps
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like fun the distance might be Alil short for 4days, It nothing for me to drive 2hrs to Harrisburg pa, and float 10miles and drive back. You can definatly do 25 in 2days. I've always wanted to do a kayak camping trip on a river.
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
        Sounds like fun the distance might be Alil short for 4days, It nothing for me to drive 2hrs to Harrisburg pa, and float 10miles and drive back. You can definatly do 25 in 2days. I've always wanted to do a kayak camping trip on a river.
        Ok, great. Thanks for the insight. I wasn't sure how fast or slow we would be. I figured a mile an hour. The 1 and 4 day will be some fishing but mostly pack out and travel. maybe 4 hours of fishing if we don't take all day.
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

DIstance depends on how hard you fish. the more you fish the less distance you cover. We planned a drift last fall but there was not enough water in the river. We were able to plan several camps.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Yes i have actually done a two day trip down it. A lot of fun. There is a camp ground 15 miles past Rt 50 bridge but there is a large island past it we camped on. Google Earth it and you can see the route. Good luck!
            Malibu Stealth 14
            Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by fredneckyaker View Post
              Yes i have actually done a two day trip down it. A lot of fun. There is a camp ground 15 miles past Rt 50 bridge but there is a large island past it we camped on. Google Earth it and you can see the route. Good luck!
              Awesome! We would really enjoy it if we could camp outside of a camp ground and do the trip completely on our own. An island would be pretty cool. Hope the river is low enough.
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

It was cool but it was the ONLY one. When we did it the river was really low and had to walk our then canoes over some spots.

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                Awesome! We would really enjoy it if we could camp outside of a camp ground and do the trip completely on our own. An island would be pretty cool. Hope the river is low enough.
                Malibu Stealth 14
                Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

I live in WV and fish/camp the main stem from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry. I’ve done a few trips on the south fork and you can camp on the national forest land with out any problem. Where to fish will depend on when you are going and the temps and water levels. In the summer I focus on the push water before ripples/ledges and ripples/ rapids them self’s and the well-oxygenated heads of pools just below the fast water. In this weather I’m throwing pig and jigs or tubing the deep pools, sometimes letting the tube sit still for minuets at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboat View Post
                    I live in WV and fish/camp the main stem from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry. I’ve done a few trips on the south fork and you can camp on the national forest land with out any problem. Where to fish will depend on when you are going and the temps and water levels. In the summer I focus on the push water before ripples/ledges and ripples/ rapids them self’s and the well-oxygenated heads of pools just below the fast water. In this weather I’m throwing pig and jigs or tubing the deep pools, sometimes letting the tube sit still for minuets at a time.
                    Sounds great. We're going mid March so I'm hoping that will at least be prespawn if not later. We will be floating from Inskeep to Butonsville. Spelling may be off in those two. There are three of us going so we're hoping to lock the pattern down pretty quick.
                    -Jon
                    Revo 13

Comment

Sorry I can't really help on the camping aspect. I have done a number of float trips above the Front Royal area of the river and I generally only use one lure: 1/16th ounce jig with a 3 inch twister tail. The twister tail is a brown body with orange tail. I have observed many crayfish in the water and believe that is the go-to pattern. I caught a 19 inch smallie with that lure last April. I have fished April-November using that lure. My buddy uses a 4 inch Case Plastics Jacks Worm in green/red flake color or a white fluke and usually catches a better size of fish but with less numbers. If you want to catch a meal of sunfish for the night, definitely use the 1/16th jig setup, you will catch a 100 sunfish a day! I like to catch numbers of fish over size, so that is why I stick with that lure. I always seem to catch a big smallie with it, so I never really bother to change!
                      Green Old Town Loon 111
                      Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Hey guys. I wanted to add another thank you to the end of this. We ended up going if though we were about to call it. Water was still pretty high which made the fishing pretty difficult. But the float and camping were great and we really got a good look at a large part of the South Fork. Didnt have any problems camping along the side, but we were the only ones on the water all 3 days. The biggest lesson we learned was that early March is still to soon to be hoping for any numbers. We only hooked up to a few the entire trip and that was only in one hole. All in all a great learning experience for us both. Can't wait to go back.
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                        X