Not so good report of Occoquan 2/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so good report of Occoquan 2/10

Something is amiss at Occoquan I guess because none of us got the hook-ups we were hoping for.

Martin counted about 9 yakers today. I caught a tiny guy that left a lot to be desired (about 5 inches or so) and nothing the rest of the day. All the good spots seemed empty. The water was still very muddy and the low tide was extremely low.

Goody caught a good size catfish. I'll let him tell about it.

There are good days and there are less desired days. It was still enjoyable to be out on the water with great people.
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Sorry to hear you had a slow catching day. The pickerel bite in the Severn was a bit slow today too -- too much ice cover and breeze where I was fishing. You will get 'em next time.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I didn't stick around long. If I'm going to be cold, I'd better be catching something. At least I got a chance to check out Goody's Wavewalk. I'm going to consider one of those.

Comment

Yeah, it was very muddy brown water there today. It was cool seeing all of the kayakers out and I got my excercise in. Despite the excercise I could not avoid the dreaded skunk. My main goal was to catch crappie, so I did not bring a rig for anything else. I tried jigheads lathered with smelly jelly, and at the end of the day, I used some nighcrawlers that Rockchaser gave me.... still no bites. I got one bite under the docks, but that was it. It was just a tease. I guess I used up all of my hookup mojoe in Florida. It was great seeing Goody fight with a big blue cat. He was not even fishing for it. He just had his rod put away with the line let out and wham! A pretty blue cat measuring 29 inches. I did get some pics of him with his prize.
        Attached Files

Comment

I managed to catch my first fish for 2013. A 29in blue catfish. Didn't catch much of anything else except a silver crank bait.

I had alot of gear not knowing what to expect. The anchor that I made which can be seen in blue, worked out great. Had 2 emmrods. Those were interesting to use due to there size. They are great for traveling.

Great to meet some of the kayakers to put a face to a name.

IMG_1732.jpgIMG_1733.jpg

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Nice blue cat! Great pics Moc, I missed all the action.

All I have to say is, Willy Wonka's Chocolate River. It's been worse, but that's the first thing I thought as I drove across the bridge leading to the entrance. They just couldn't see it. I wanted to use something that makes noise, but there isn't much in the 1/16th ounce jig head department. Tried shortly for bass, but I'd pretty much given up then. I ended up with one crappie that came out of nowhere. Grabbed it right next to the yak. I wouldn't have been so quick to toss him back if I knew he would be the only one for the day. Maybe Ill snap a pic for the next one.

It was nice to see you guys out there. It's been a while since I've seen that many out.
            Last edited by jsnyd86; 02-10-2013, 10:12 PM.
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

The same thing happened to me I got two crappie one on the tube jig out of nowhere at 9'' and another on shrimp when I was fishing for bluegill at 4''. I also missed a sunfish that shook off the hook when I brought it in at about 5''.

I guess you had to literally hit the fish on the head to get it to bite.

It was fun to get out though...much better than sitting around the house.
              Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                I managed to catch my first fish for 2013. A 29in blue catfish. Didn't catch much of anything else except a silver crank bait.

I had alot of gear not knowing what to expect. The anchor that I made which can be seen in blue, worked out great. Had 2 emmrods. Those were interesting to use due to there size. They are great for traveling.

Great to meet some of the kayakers to put a face to a name.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5601[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5602[/ATTACH]
                How are those emmords? I am thinking about getting one but not sure how the action is or which model to get.

Comment

Goody that is a nice cat, I'm glad to see someone caught something decent. I managed one small, maybe about 6", crappie drifting a tube about 5' under a bobber along the pilings of the 95 bridge. And that was it, I don't think I even had any other nibbles.

It was nice to get out with a good size group and meet a few more people from the site.

Comment

My wife and I went west to Delaplane for the afternoon. We caught plenty. And stayed warm... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
                      How are those emmords? I am thinking about getting one but not sure how the action is or which model to get.
                      No verdict on them yet. This is the first time I've used them. I want to see how they work when I have a hook up. I have the outback model which is discontinued. I think they are replaced by the kayak king. I got mine on ebay with some cheapo custom angler 30 reels. I put my own reels on them. I think you can get them on ebay still without reel for about $60. With reel its about $70. The rod tip that comes with it is suppose to handle up to 25lb fish supposedly.

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Working...
                      X