Swimbait inline spiners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimbait inline spiners

Ok, making a few for the April C&R season. Going to let it sink into the schools and start it up. Maybe sink to the bottom and stat off and on.

4/0 Swimbait hooks in 1/4 oz wired onto an inline spinner with a 1/4 oz weight. Top is a #5 Colorado, middle is a #5 Indiana and bottoms a #5 Willow. Made for spring stripers and bass.

Colorado make lots of vibration
    Indiana works the best on startup and running.
    Willow starts on a jerk, but slips in the water and stops some times. I will not make more of the willow model. I will probably make some spinner baits with the willow blades with 3/4oz and 1oz jig heads

IMO, paint blades are a waste of money, unless you let is rest to the bottom. When spinning you can't see it and it actually reduces the flash.

"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Looks great Rob. I tried to modify a blue fox spinner but it was twisting when I reeled it back.

Comment

I made some more with French blades in yellow/black poki-dots and solid black.

I also worked on these

3/4oz Ultra minnow jigs on stiff wire for striper season. The paddle tail one is great and the extra flash from the small colorado is perfect.

The curly tail needs a longer arm to the jig head. The curly tail slaps the willow about every 3 - 5 seconds and stops or slows it actions. Good or bad, I don't know.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

Those are beautiful lures. I hope they will catch fish -- if you decide to sell some, I'm sure they would catch fishermen.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I use a similar set up. I hooked up with a gentleman on eBay. I asked for a few weighted inline spinner with a single trailer hook. Then I will use a 4" grub as a trailer for small mouth. His store is Dana4774, he sells good quality plastics. Maybe I will trail the spinners with a swimbait for the flats. I dont have much rockfish tackle..they look real nice John.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

those look killer! well done, i'd be willing to test some out for ya, ha
            sigpic

Comment

I'm new to the site and have not fished a lot here in MD... But I have a of time on fresh and salt water. I'm trying to convince my better half to let me get another kayak (I have a whitewater one).
              Are these lures typically the style your using to troll with?
              They seem pretty easy to make. I am part owner of a family summer cabin on he Hudson River way up right next to Lake George. It's pretty shallow, but our cabin sits along one of the largest/deepest pools along that stretch. The smallmouth are off the chart. Last summer I "trolled" a rubber crayfish with just a hook off a pole from the back of a canoe and they hammered it. These look like they could pull double duty and just have to swap out the rubber lure.
              Any input?

Comment

I, myself, don't troll. I search with active presentations or a fish finder and then work structure or fish schools. You could troll these is shallower water as their resistance is not going to get them to dive. On an active presentations I can cast let them sink and counting down and then start the retrieve for depth. I use spinners and spinnerbaits as one of my active presentations.

If you are looking to chase small mouth like you said with crawfish. A football head jig or slider jig depending on the bottom and weeds. A weedless slider works better for weeds. The hook on plastic, Reference Yum, Craw Papi, Money Craw or Gonzo Grub (I love Gonzo Grubs) http://www.lurenet.com/brands/yum-baits
                Last edited by archeryrob; 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Oh, and I'll bring a few extras to the Susquehanna Jamboree if anyone one to try them. But I expect my Props when you nail Cow on them.

Comment

Working...
                  X