Stripers in Lake Anna (Dike 3) both cold and warm sides - Feb 3, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripers in Lake Anna (Dike 3) both cold and warm sides - Feb 3, 2013

I am zeroing into catching keeper stripers in Lake Anna in winter until the end of March or Tog start biting

It has been a good challenge. It was very hard to catch keeper stripers in the Lake especially on a kayak. This land locked stripers behave quite differently according to the striper fishermen who fish both Lake Anna and Chesapeake Bay

I went to Dike 3, and fished both warm and cold sides. The large fish on the bottom, 50’ down were catfish. I always wondered about the fish on the bottom. Last week I found fish on the bottom 30’ down were LM.

So now I will look for the fish suspended. I probably hit the bottom less

The Alabama Rig with crank-bait (white head and Silver body) worked well. I had several hits on the rig. I lost the rig when I had a fish. The fish got away with the rig.

Also found that silver soft lure worked well in the clear water

I landed 3 catfish and 2 under sized stripers. I had about 12 hits

I think the water at Dike 3 (49-50F) is too warm for bigger striper. I may hit the mid lake where the water temp is 46-47F

Because the strong wind was predicted a day before, I brought heavy jigs ¾-1.5oz. What I needed were many ¼ -1 oz jig on such a calm day.

I also think that plain lead jig head is good for lures with any colors

Here is my log:
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Great work Joe! I had a pipe burst in my laundry room on Saturday morning and spent the whole day cleaning and moving stuff. We're still cleaning dry wall and junk up. Are you going back Saturday?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
      Great work Joe! I had a pipe burst in my laundry room on Saturday morning and spent the whole day cleaning and moving stuff. We're still cleaning dry wall and junk up. Are you going back Saturday?
      Saturday: Yes.
      I hope everything becomes normal by Friday so you can prepare for the fishing.

I will be stripping of paint on jig head so that I have more lead head for Lake Anna. I think lead is a good neutral color for lures I have (different colors)

Since I lost the Alabama rig, I may make a daisy chain rig -which is cheaper.

joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
      X