10/21/10 - Point Lookout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/21/10 - Point Lookout

After my good luck with the perch yesterday i decided to hit Point Lookout today. I new the wind was kicking up but i stuck with the plan and got on the road around 11:00 with hopes of a redfish or spec. I arrived at PLO around 1:00 and realized i made a mistake. I never checked the wind direction before i left and well it was blowing straight across lake conoy. It was choppy and the current was outgoing (with the wind). I was drifting at 1.4 mph in the lake which was going to make it a long day. I paddled up into the grassy islands and started pitching a gulp shrimp on a 1/4oz jig head and a 3" gulp swimming mullet on a spinner. I fished the grass beds for 2 hrs with not a hit. I decided to take a break and eat my lunch. It was nice to let the wind and current take me to the inlet while munching.

The inlet was choppy with good sized waves at the mouth. I casted at the jetties and other rip rap and jigged the channel. This went on for another hour before i retired to the fact that it was not panning out. I paddled back into the lake for a last long drift before leaving. I had some excitement when a small blue nipped the end of my grub at the boat. At least it was a hit. I turned around to head back in and to my surprise the wind calmed down and the river looked much better.

I decide to give a shot trolling from the inlet to the point and scan the area for birds. I had no luck with either. I did not see any bait or marks the whole time i was trolling in the river. I pulled out my 24oz silver bullet and made a slow paddle back to the inlet sipping my woes away.

I covered allot of ground today and made many a cast with no love. Still better than working.

Here is a video recap of the uneventful trip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR8NF-ygo6w

Ahh yes, still better than work! You bet.

Better luck next time brother. Remember, the time spent fishing is not deducted from your time in this life.

Comment

Thanks for the report. It's reassuring for my pride to know that the slow action at PLO this weekend wasn't an isolated event.

The wind yesterday was pretty wild at Solomons. It went from blowing ~15 from the west to gusting to 25+ from the north in the space of an hour.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

sweet video...how do you have your camera mounted/set up? I want to do something similar, but need to get a waterproof camera first.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
          sweet video...how do you have your camera mounted/set up? I want to do something similar, but need to get a waterproof camera first.
          Thanks.
          I made a rig with 1/2" sch 40 PVC and some elbows. I did a write up on it here
          http://www.snaggedline.com/boatyard/...read.php?t=534

Let me know if you have any questions.

I Really like the Playsport camera the only drawback is the battery life. I only get about 1.2 hrs of record time at 720 dpi / 60 fps. That's easy enough to resolve with an additional battery though.

Comment

Nice. Definitely better than work! Nice video, too. Real sharp and in focus. Did look a little sporty out there! Surprised no pullage. Overcast, a bit snotty. Well, keep at it. We all know the feeling!

Comment

looks like the new mount is working great, very sharp and clear video. long way for no fish better luck next time, upper bay should be rocking

Comment

Working...
              X