Lights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights...

With the sunsetting earlier and earlier, I know there will be times where I end up being on the water around dusk & after sunset. I wanted an easy lighting solution to test out. At target today, I came across some LED glowsticks made by Energizer. Available in many different colors (@ $5.99 ea), I picked up a pair in red & green.

They aren't waterproof, but I really don't plan on being in rough water at night, so I'm really not too worried about that. They are advertised to get 8hrs of life from the batteries (three A76 batteries). The crown of my spray shield isolates the light, only allowing the light to be seen from their respective sides.

Why not?

Stay thirsty my friends.
    <insert witty comment here>

As mytmouse mentioned in a phone conversation earlier, I might wanna just go with a white stern light though. Although I think this is cool, if there's traffic out there at night I'd want them to know that I'm JUST a kayak, and not a motored-boat...

Comment

That's a great idea.

Comment

Lights

That is a great idea. They look remarkably like some of the lights sold by kayak shops mounted in a pair, for alot more money. However, I agree, without power you may just want to use a white light, which signifies that you are not under power. The led version of stern lights are available from most marine stores. They could be put in a rod holder with the use of some pipe insulation and a rubber cane butt. The yak attack pole works great. That is what I use for a stern light.

When I added an electric motor, DNR required a bow light. I use the round lights from NRS. They are not inexpensive. They float and do not use much power. I have had the same batteries in mine all summer, 3-AAA batteries. They come in a red/green/white version that can be turned on by the button and adjusted by the button to all three configurations, just white, just red/green or all three. Then there is the all white version. I use the all white light for night fishing. It lights up the entire interior of the kayak. Each of the lights have a powerful magnet in the disc type base. The magnetic base can be put under the hatch cover and the light is held on by the magnet through the plastic of the hatch cover. I think these are called navisafe lights. They are on the web and also offer poles to mount the light on. Remember, when buying lights, the brighter the better. A kayak is only a speed bump to a large power boat.

Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I ran out of room for the last photo in the previous post.

I just realized that metro man does everything in twos, DOS.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-22-2010, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Nice lighting system you got there! I think I saw that light online.

Comment

DOGFISH--if you stick that light inside the hull, is it bright enough to make the hull glow?
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                I just realized that metro man does everything in twos, DOS.
                I can touch MC Hammer. I'm just that cool.

Comment

great ideas....thanks for sharing

this winter i want to install some flush mount lights and connect them to a switch. it will be my winter project along with buying more gear
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                    DOGFISH--if you stick that light inside the hull, is it bright enough to make the hull glow?
                    Ahh thats a good one. I look like a large Japanese lantern out on the water. I guess I deserved that. I meant it lights the cockpit area of the kayak for night fishing. I only turn the white light on when baiting, tying or when light is needed, such a getting another DosEquis. Otherwise, the white light takes away your night vision. I use a YAKATTACK pole for the stern light. Its not just the shorter days, I run out of daylight even when out in the summer.

Oh, the lights are sold by NRS, but they are also on the web:

http://www.navisafe.no/en/products_rg.html

As far as those flush mount lights, there are lots of LED lights for that purpose. LEDs are changing boat lights like braid changed fishing line. I am now hooking up a battery selector switch for my deep cycle batteries for the electric motor. What kayakers won't do to catch fish.

Good Luck.

Comment

Actually, I think lighting up the hull like a Japanese lantern would be cool. You've seen the hat I wear--I like being seen. I read on some other forum where a guy wired up a bunch of lights to do that, but that's too much work for me. I thought about throwing a 2 million candlepower spotlight in the hatch, but my spotlight only lasts about 30min. I thought these lights might be an easier way to do that.
                      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Great ideas! I'm also trying to figure out options. The lights used by the vispole guys is by Tektite:
                        http://www.tek-tite.com/home/index.php

Good, quality stuff. I actually talked to them a while back. If enough guys are interested we might be able to secure a discount with a group buy. Anyone interested?

Bill, They'll have something to light up your kayak from the inside!

Comment

The tek lights look nice. That is what they have on top of the visi-pole. Looks like mine anyway. I have the older style with PVC pole. I just reach back bend the pole towards me and give it a twist. It works great, with the orange flag. Even though I am thinking of changing over to a pirate flag.

I'm sure with the LEDs out today you could light up a kayak from the inside. Princeton Tec make a nice LED spotlight, a bit expensive. That would lite up a kayak. It would be like Christmas on the Bay. I have thought about just mounting a small bow light on the front hatch. That way I would not have to slide forward to place the disc lights.

Of course this reminds me of when I dropped my good LED flashlight over the side. It was a bright flash light. I was out night fishing. There was a huge lighted area out in the river. If I were on a pier, I would have gone down to get the light. However, out at night, I didn't want to risk leaving the kayak way out in the river. I could only imagine what other boats may have thought when they saw the huge lighted area. That was the funny part. I now have a line hooked to my new flashlight.

Comment

Meh...these lights were a failure. The red light just crapped out for no reason...and the batteries died in the green one after about 40 minutes (I guess they got heavy "TRY ME" use in store.

I do not recommend these lights.

Comment

Lights

what target and in what dept did you find them. I'm heading there now. Could you tell me more about the stern Light you are talking about here that I can put on a rod mount. Is it a scotty mount or some other brand. Looks like a grat idea for the bow lights.
                              Tom Brown
                              Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                              2012 Hobie PA 14'
                              Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                              2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Working...
                              X