10/20/10 - Perch Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/20/10 - Perch Patrol

I decided to target perch this trip so a scanned the web and google earth and found a nice soft launch site on what i think is the Rhode River outside Mayo, MD.

This site is public and right next to a ton of private piers with lots of good perch cover. The only drawback is the limited parking (3 to 4 cars) but during the weekday this should not be an issue.

It was cold and raining so a perfect day to fully test out the nasty weather gear i have acquired. It worked great. I stayed dry and warm the whole day.

I put in around 11:00 AM and started getting into nice sized perch right away. I caught around 40 perch total including a 13" brute that was close to 5" wide. I kept 12 of the bigger ones for dinner. I used a 2" grub and spinner the whole day

Quick vid of the largest perch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CSWSBDEvE

I also got into a nice tug-o-war with a 17" rockfish. It was fun on ultra lite gear.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldCbwmC11g

I'm still working out the making videos while fishing thing. I missed allot of action because the camera was not pointed in the proper direction as seen above. I will get this down soon

nice catch

Nice catch...thanks for the report. When I click on the youtube links...they will not come up and youtube says they are "private".

How did you prepare the perch?

Jason

Comment

Awesome work, especially on the big perch. The videos were marked as private, though.

Is a permit required or anything for that launch?
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice haul! Thanks for sharing the info!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Good going. I opted out yesterday because of the rain. It turned out to be not that bad. It was perfect striper weather, light rain and little wind. Glad the foul weather gear worked out. I have some new rain gear to test out, should have gone. I feel like such a whimp after reading your report. Well, next time. Glad you had a good time and caught fish.

An abundance of docks and piers is why I think Spa Creek would be good. Perch would be another fish that should be around those docks.

Comment

Sorry for the private listings. I have updated the videos and they should work now.

Striper
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldCbwmC11g

Perch
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CSWSBDEvE

Comment

Great haul there! Looks like I got a nice spot to spend my "sick days" *COUGH* *COUGH* LOL

Comment

Nice catch!
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

How long do you anticipate the perch holding around those docs? Do they migrate out with the rest of the game fish?

Jason

Comment

Not sure. I think they stick around all year. I have caught them in Jan on the lower Potomac before just not in numbers. I'm going there again Friday afternoon with the fly rod. Hopfully they are still around.

Comment

I know that launch spot. When I sometime launch from there to catch crabs. I use to target perch there, but it has been a long time ago. I am glad that they are still there. Thanks for the report. I agree that the parking there is very limited.

Comment

Thanks for the info and heads up. Looking forward to your report soon.

Jason

Comment

thanks for the report and nice videos. perch head to deeper water but can be caught around the bb pilings through the winter

Comment

Working...
                          X