Trolling Alabama Rig in Lake Anna for Stripers – Jan 26, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling Alabama Rig in Lake Anna for Stripers – Jan 26, 2013

It was a cold day (24-35F). Initially I planned to troll for stripers in the cold side by Dike 3.
    While driving to Dike 3, I recognized that I didn’t bring the waterproof gloves. I learned that wet hands below 32F (Air) never been good to me in the past. When I see ice covered creeks in the north Lake Anna while driving, I changed the plan. I went to the cozy warm side of Lake Anna. I didn’t want to get skunked especially fishing in the cold day in the cold side of Lake Anna.

I bought an Alabama rig to troll for small stripers (20" range) in Lake Anna, VA. Stripers weren't stocked in the warm side. But somehow some stripers made to the warm side from the cold side. So far we caught only two at 19 and 22 inches for last 2 years.

I added a 4oz inline sinker to the Alabama rig so that it can sink while trolling. The rig sank about 1.6' per line travel from one side to the other on the baitcasting reel

Well, I didn't catch any stripers. I caught 2 LM (out of 4 hooked) and 2 WP (out of 5 hooked) for 5 hour trolling.

The video fishing log:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice work Joe! You'll find the school again one of these days. It amazes me me what those Lake Anna white perch will eat! I caught that one last year with you on a full size waxwing.

Want to try the cold side this Saturday?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I have no idea how you do it Joe it seems like you almost never get skunked.

Anyway do you know if its possible to troll from my yak? Or is it just a hobie thing because the paddles seem like they could disrupt things

Oh and the underwater footage is really starting to grow on me.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        Nice work Joe! You'll find the school again one of these days. It amazes me me what those Lake Anna white perch will eat! I caught that one last year with you on a full size waxwing.

Want to try the cold side this Saturday?
        yup

If you are coming, I am bringing sabiki rigs to catch thread fin herring to live line. Also bring jigs and lures

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-27-2013, 11:45 PM.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
          I have no idea how you do it Joe it seems like you almost never get skunked.

Anyway do you know if its possible to troll from my yak? Or is it just a hobie thing because the paddles seem like they could disrupt things

Oh and the underwater footage is really starting to grow on me.
          yes you can.
          I used to troll on a paddle kayak a lot. You just need to set up rod holders to meet your way of fishing (trolling and bottom fishing). This is why I once suggested you not put rod holders until you have more experience in kayak fishing

joe

Comment

Great post and video. I plan to use a variation of the Alabama rig at my local reservoirs this year. it will be interesting to see how it works. I'll post some photos and reports once things get going in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
              yup

If you are coming, I am bringing sabiki rigs to catch thread fin herring to live line. Also bring jigs and lures

Joe

I'd like to try to join you guys on Saturday if that's cool. Joe, I'll call you sometime Thursday to confirm logistics and supplies
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice vid....did you mark any stripers on your fish finder?
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                  Nice vid....did you mark any stripers on your fish finder?
                  Nope.

But now I know what the fish on the bottom in 30-40' of water were. They were LM. I maintained the Alabama rig 16' down. When I saw fish on the bottom I lowered the Alabama rig down quickly and hooked two bass. One got away. The first bass on the Video was caught on the bottom 33' down.

I am still wondering about the fish on the bottom 50' down .

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post

I am still wondering about the fish on the bottom 50' down .

Joe
                    50 feet? I'd be afraid they'd blow up from the pressure change
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                    X