suggestions for depth finders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions for depth finders

Going to be in the market for a depth/fish finder in the next few months and would like to hear what you think about yours. Do you have GPS capabilities as well on yours?

Tight lines!

Jason

While I don't have any first hand experience, Im going with the Humminbird PiranhaMAX170, based on the reviews I've read. I'll keep you posted on how it performs for me.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I have a Humminbird 565 and really like it. I can see a jig pretty easily, and it's sensitive enough to see thermoclines. However, I don't get the typical arches other people show on their finders, but I've been able to catch fish under the boat when I see certain types of marks. Spot/croaker are pretty distinctive, too.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Humminbird

I use a Humminbird 383C, which has now been replaced by the 385C. It is basically the same unit with the ability to add map chips to the unit. I have had no complaints. The unit does a good job. This unit does have GPS built in. I like that mostly because it gives me a readout of speed. This helps when I'm trolling. I have found the best trolling speed to be around 3mph, give or take alittle. The 385C also comes in a kayak model. I use a thru hull trasducer into a scupper hole.

Comment

Hummingbird 385 ci Kayak ......... little more expensive but I like it ........

Comment

I'm researching as well. And I'm thinking my wife is going to be very, very generous at Christmas time! I'm looking at the Humminbird 798ci SI which includes side & down scan!! I've looked at Lowrance, Eagle, Raymarine, Garmin, etc. Even Furuno! My criteria is:

1. color screen, 5-6"
            2. sharp display viewable on sunny days
            3. waterproof
            4. Tilt, swivel & quick disconnect
            5. shoot thru hull transducer
            6. GPS with an internal antenna
            7. Cartography capabilities to read SD cards such Navionics (most built-in maps are not sufficient from what I've seen. I need to see a NOAA chart! )

I've been in touch with the guys at BOE Marine and they're telling me it will work in a kayak. New version out after Christmas. I still gotta go see and touch one of these. Online research is one thing but seeing is another. It's pricey but it is a combo GPS unit. If you need both you'll pay about the same for good quality units.

Anyway, I need the larger screen. My eyes ain't what they used to be!

Comment

I'm thinking of upgrading to the new 385 with the Navionics chip after tax season... We'll see though, really wish I had the gps functionality sometimes. I have a Humminbird 550 right now with this transducer http://store.humminbird.com/products.../XTH_6_TB_90_P because I wanted the scupper transducer and I also wanted the factory should I ever get another boat. Now that I have the Ride I just need to get a spare mount and power cable and I should be good to go. This transducer should work with the 385 too so that would be cool.

I like the 550 because I never charge my battery. I know I should but I've only charged it twice since April and it didn't even give me the low battery alarm, just felt like I should after powering an LED bottom light one night and after several 10 hour yak days seemed like a good idea. I haven't charged it since August at this point! It's just the Cabelas 12v 7amp battery too!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Does the color work well shooting through the hull?

The only downside of the 565 is the contrast stinks, so it's hard to tell a hard bottom from soft. I've always wondered if that was because I was shooting through the hull.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I use an Eagle FishMark 320 works fine for me, the only down side is that its a little bigger then Id like it to be, but for free its not a big deal, just had to spend 2 days to making sure I put it in the right pace. LOL
                  '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                  '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                  Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

On the boat I have y=the Hummibird 898SI-an amazing unit, I will upgrade to the smaller 7 series in the Yak. the side imaging is amazing.

Comment

fishfinder

I have the Hummingbird 385ci. Its all inclusive with a case if you want to use it that way or mount it. I was using the suction cup until this week and now have the transducer in the hull. The carry case has the battery secured within the case and is a very nice unit. Several area stores are reducing the price on these units and others making room for next years products. Basspro has a unit for about $159. and has a BW unit with a case and battery similar to the 385ci. I work at Basspro in Hanover/Arundel Mills and will be there on Tuesday 11/9 from 2-10p and will be willing to show you the different types along with the benefits of each. I am in the Fishing Dept from 2-10pm. Just ask for Tom Brown.
                      Tom Brown
                      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                      2012 Hobie PA 14'
                      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I have a Humminbird 597ci which is a color/gps model with a 4.5inn screen 640x480. I sent the transducer back to Humm. on their exchange program and got the correct one sent back for my Trident 15. Just got the good transducer today and cant wait to get it installed and on the water. I definitely wanted a color unit so I could easily see it during the day and night.

The side imaging units are nice but a bit out of my price range though they do make a side imaging transducer that fits the Trident models.

BassPro had mine on sale for 399$ and it takes the navionics chips.

Comment

Originally posted by KayakNfish View Post
                          I have a Humminbird 597ci which is a color/gps model with a 4.5inn screen 640x480. I sent the transducer back to Humm. on their exchange program and got the correct one sent back for my Trident 15. Just got the good transducer today and cant wait to get it installed and on the water. I definitely wanted a color unit so I could easily see it during the day and night.

The side imaging units are nice but a bit out of my price range though they do make a side imaging transducer that fits the Trident models.

BassPro had mine on sale for 399$ and it takes the navionics chips.
                          I have been looking at these for an upgrade to my Eagle Cuda 350s. I keep staring at the scupper hole in my trident and back at my small b/w screen. I then spend the next several hours talking myself out of spending more money : D

How is you battery life with this unit? I'm currently running a 12v 5 or 7 amp (cant remember) and it will power the Cuda for a week. I know the larger screen and color will pull more power though.

Comment

Spend your money young JEDI, spend, spend spend. That is what I keep hearing. I am thinking about an upgrade to one of those side scan, 3D down looking systems. Probably, the one by Humminbird. I presently use a 383C, with a scupper hole transducer. It has a small color screen. It lasts about three times out, of about 8 hours each, before I need to recharge. I have kept that on a small battery, separate from the electric motor. I have always used humminbird products and have never had a problem.

However, I don't know if all of that photo of the bottm is necessary. I have always found that if I find the right bottom contours, structure and bait fish, the gamefish are there also. Anyway, I'm still looking for the unit that will also show me which of the fish are hungry.

Comment

Working...
                            X