Occoquan 1/19/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan 1/19/13

After months of enjoying his videos, I got the opportunity to fish with the guy who inspired me to get a kayak. I finally got to fish with ComeOnFish! On top of that I got to be in his video! It's like a fairytale! LOL!!!

Man what a day!

ComeOnFish, Rockchaser, Redfish12, M_Duong60 and I fished the Occoquan for Crappie and flathead catfish. I'll let each tell their story but without spoiling anything, Redfish12 has a sweet one to share!

After royally getting skunked last week, ComeOnFish put me through school, and man did it pay off! I caught 14 keeper crappie and one mighty blue gill. One of the crappie was 14" and put up an awesome fight!

Red and Chartreuse tube was the hot color (1/16th jig), and fish were biting at 5ft. I originally was using a slip bobber that Joe gave me to peg my line but it broke (I need more dock shooting lessons ), so I kept the slip knot (that Joe taught me how to tie) and used it to make sure I stayed in the 5ft range as I jigged. No joke, if I was 1.5 feet above or below 5ft, nothing bit. The other lesson of the day is low tide (outgoing). We got there early in the morning (incoming tide started at 7am) and the bite was almost completely shut off. At around 1pm or so it slowly picked up with the outgoing tide. Between 4-5pm it was hot with fish every other minute!

I finally broke my 3 fish limit on a kayak! LOL and I owe it all to Joe. In fact I owe this whole kayak fishing hobby of mine to Joe. Thank you Joe for making your videos and sharing knowledge and experience with all of us. Your generous nature and eagerness to share the joy of this great activity is sincerely appreciated bro!

Joe sent me his video and a few other pics to post (Warning: spoiler alert of Michael's sweet catch!):

Attached Files
    Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM.
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

well done dude!
    sigpic

Comment

one nice crappie! Let us know how he tasted and how you cook them. I usually fry but the wife is looking for something different. Occoquan is where I met a couple of guys fishing from yaks last year and they turned me onto this wonderful forrum. I met rockchaser at the ramp while pulling my yak out and one of the other guys threw me the hot lurer of the day to try out. just can't remember who he was. Great job on those fish.
      Last edited by mango; 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Nice Crappie! I still have not mastered Crappie, maybe I need to fish for them with Joe.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice! I'm glad you were finally able to bring something home I bet your kids were ecstatic when you brought that big one home. And I cant wait to see what Joe caught so waiting for that video.

I myself was able to catch 7 crappie with the biggest one at 12 inches but wow you guys did really well after I left. It was really a great day.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by M_Duong60; 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Well done buddy, I didn't catch any Crappie but managed 2 Blue catfish one 22" and one 21" Things deffinetly picked uparound 1:00, I wish I could have stayed longer but had family stuff to do.

Good job on finding the fish it looks likeit turned out to be a great day for you.
            Jim

Hobie Outback
            TKAA member
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Well done? What was the water clarity like? Was it as stained as last week? What was the boat traffic like?

Regards
              Ed
              Ed
              Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Thanks Gents!

Originally posted by mango View Post
                one nice crappie! Let us know how he tasted and how you cook them. I usually fry but the wife is looking for something different.
                Will Do Bro!

Originally posted by Moschedmi View Post
                What was the water clarity like? Was it as stained as last week? What was the boat traffic like?
                Boat traffic was less than last week and the water clarity was better than last week as well. Visibility was about 2ft or so...
                -Mustafa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Getting Skunked and Becoming a Part of a History

All,
                  The first post by Abumasgouf was edited. a video and 5 pic are added

Getting Skunked and Becoming a Part of a History:
                  As usual, I got skunked. But I did my job. I delivered the bluegill caught by Minh to Redfish. Without the SUPER delivery service, no 44+ inch flathead became a history. I am vey proud of my delivery service

But sadly, the bluegill (especially the delivery person) won't be remembered...

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM.
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                    All,
                    The first post by Abumasgouf was edited. a video and 5 pic are added

Getting Skunked and Becoming a Part of a History:
                    As usual, I got skunked. But I did my job. I delivered the bluegill caught by Minh to Redfish. Without the SUPER delivery service, no 44+ inch flathead became a history. I am vey proud of my self

Joe
                    LOL!!! Indeed!!
                    -Mustafa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I am glad that Joe was able to school you. Maybe he can give me a lesson next time. Those were some nice Crappies. I was I was there to see you break your gold. I remembered your fustration when you did not break your 3 fish record. Now you broke it in spades. Well Done. I am glad everyone avoided the skunk. And all I can say about Mike's catfish is WOW.....

Comment

It was a nice day fishing with the gang yesterday! Minh thank you for the bluegill, Joe, thank you for the delivery service and the footage! and Jim thank you for the help landing that beast. Glad you guys found some fish after we left and glad to hear you broke the streak!

That was a big ugly catfish, my January fish, and my first citation of 2013!
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

A nice way to start 2013 Red....

Comment

WOW, guys. Making me want to come out to Va. to join you guys on your next outing.

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

Mustafa, your 14" Crappie is a new All Time MKF record, Post it up buddy.
                              Jim

Hobie Outback
                              TKAA member
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                              X