tough bite in Tampa Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tough bite in Tampa Bay

I fished this morning with Capt. Neil Taylor of Strike Three Fishing Charters (the business name relates to Neil's former career as a professional baseball umpire). Neil lives in a suburb of Tampa and fishes the entire Tampa region. I mentioned in another post that the weather had been cool and very windy for several days. I went outside at 6:00 am to cool and windy again -- I was not sure if we would be able to fish. However, Neil had some sheltered spots in mind. We fished in the shallows of Miguel Bay, near the south end of the Sunshine Skyway bridge over the mouth of Tampa Bay.

Neil is a professional guide with Native Watercraft. We fished today out of Native Ultimate 14.5 kayaks. The seats are very comfortable, and the kayak is very roomy. Most of the trip we fished in water less than 3 ft deep. Neil pointed out many good spots that usually would hold redfish and trout. But the bite today was really slow. He fished side-by-side with me. We each caught a few flounder and hooked a trout apiece. Neil also caught a ladyfish and a sheepshead. But for 5.5 hours of fishing with two anglers, that was not a highly productive day. I think the cooler weather had put the fish off of their bite.

I was very pleased with Neil's guiding, his service, and the teaching he did as we fished. I will definitely plan to fish with him again when I get to the Tampa area, and can strongly recommend him as a kayak guide. His rates were reasonable and less than some of the other kayak guides I found on the internet.

http://www.strikethreekayakfishing.c...s/default.aspx

Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I kayak fished this morning from Siesta Key (just south of Sarasota) with a local guy I met last April. In 4 hours of fishing, I had my first skunk of the year, and the other guy caught just one small catfish. There had been a bad red tide in this area last week (dead fish all over the beach by my hotel). That plus the cool windy weather from Thurs - Sat really shut off the bite. I wish I had more success stories to report, but it just is not happening this week.

On the positive side, I am looking out the balcony of my room to a beautiful Gulf beach. And the temperature is upper 70s.
    John Veil
    Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sarasota is a great place. The red tide will definitely turn the fishing off. Did you guys fish in the bay or Gulf side?

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
        Sarasota is a great place. The red tide will definitely turn the fishing off. Did you guys fish in the bay or Gulf side?
        We fished around some mangrove islands near Turtle Beach.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Comment

Oh well the scenery must have been amazing though.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Any day on the water beats any day off the water- skunks makes the next trip one you look forward to- fishing...not catching- love it all- I have scheduled a trip in February in Mosquito Lagoon and the NASA inlet area for redfish and specks- Rob Duerscheidt will guide
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I was wondering how your trip went. Sorry to hear it was slow.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
              X