Severn River Tributary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River Tributary

Yep...we went out on the kayaks yesterday despite the gale force winds. Knowing it was too windy to fish any "big water", we opted for a more protected area that would spare us from the winds and waves. We ended up fishing one of the many tributaries of the Severn River, which was protected by plenty of trees. The water was smooth as could be on an outgoing tide. We paddled upstream, trying various locations along the way. I had one rod rigged with fishbites, and I worked a lure with the other rod.

I found a little cove that had a nice shade line. I worked that with my rooster tail and caught a decent perch around 10" in length. I continued to work that area, catching a few more. After losing the battle with an overhanging tree limb I switched over to a pre-made perch rig that I had. It's the kind that has a shad dart attached halfway down, and a gold spoon-type hook at the bottom. (I added a split shot for casting purposes) I caught a few more on this rig.

The last two fish I caught made my day. I was drifting slowly (tide was just about dead low by this point) passing a little dock pylon. I said "If I were a perch, I'd be hiding right in there." I made the perfect cast, just missed falling on top of the dock, and my rig splashed down in between two of the pylons. As I drifted downstream, I retrieved the lure so it passed right by the pylon...as soon as it did, *wham*...the shad dart got slammed! It was another near 10 incher.

After I got him in the cooler, I saw a ripple on the surface from a fish on my left side. GET'EM! I tossed the lure in line with the ripple circles and began a slow retrieve. I felt the hit, but I missed him! "Be cool...He's still right there". I jigged the lure up and down a few times to make the shad dart dance in front of his face. He couldn't resist! *wham*

It was getting dark by this point, so I called it quits after I managed to tangle my lure on itself. It was a great time out there. As the evening progressed, the water became the smoothest I've ever seen. It was peaceful and quiet out there. I came home with a few perch, mytmouse caught a few as well, but was in C&R mode yesterday. Great day of fishing!

<insert witty comment here>

The elusive Severn White Perch...lol! It was a great day out there a tad windy but nothing unbearable! As a matter of fact the water was d@mn near as smooth as glass on the paddle back.

I tried the fish bites as well but I caught a couple of teeny tiny spot with mine. We used both crab and bloodworm f/b. I tried some shrimp too but nothin doing. I caught 3 decent size WP, 2 I threw back and 1 slipped out my hand before I could get it on the stringer... I caught them on a beetle spin rigged with a white exude curly tail. I had no success where Metroman was, but I found my own little area to work. It was a great time out there and was fun catchin those WP on lures. It got a tad chilly on the paddle in but otherwise a great day!

MYT

Comment

Metroman, I like the play by play. It was as if I were there catching the fish. Yeah, and there are large areas of grassbeds up towards Sherwood Forest on the opposite side of the river. There should really be some fish in those grassy areas. The Severn River is a good fishing river. Of course, I don't know if Jeramy Wade is going to come to Annapolis due to the monster White Perch, even with the play by play.

Comment

Nice work, Metro, especially on the last to fish! That's one of the best feelings. I definitely would have jerked the lure into orbit when the second fish hit and missed.

MYT--it's funny how you can fish the same spot and not have the same action as another guy. I was fishing shoulder to shoulder with a guy at Allen's Fresh, and he was bailing white and yellow perch, and I didn't even get a sniff. We had even cast in the same spot at the same time, and he caught something and I didn't--the fish swam past my lure and took his. Even when he gave me a lure like he was using, he still out-caught me.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
        X