New creations from the Laboratory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New creations from the Laboratory

Well i had all this wire hanging around for several years and several hours of idle time. So i looked over my tackle collection to see if i could fill any of the open slots with some new shiny creations.

Ahh

I don't have any large spinners for jig heads. Perfect time to try my hand a creating some. I used a small beetle spin for a model and came up with these.

They are rough and ugly but might work. Hopefully the clip section wont release under pressure. I did a quick stress test on them and it looks fine.

I used 240lb stainless steel wire and a pair of wire shaping pliers. Hopefully i will get a chance to test them out on Sunday.

Looks good! You should make some tman keels and maybe a cape cod spinner or tube and worm with a spinner too!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Looks good

Those spinners look really nice, what kind of wire are you using? I've been experimenting with stainless steel 0.062 tig wire, but your bends look really clean.

Comment

Pretty nice. Do you have any bigger blades?

I started using spinner arms for saltwater fish back in the late 90s when I was trying to figure out the whole saltwater thing. There was no end to the looks and comments I got from my buddies or other folks on the pier. Well, that's not true--they usually shut up when the first fish came over the rail. The more that came over, the quieter they got. Around here, they work really well for schoolie stripers in shallow water, and I seem to have few tails bitten off when I use them when blues are around. However, my Redfish Magic lures seem to only make redfish disappear.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

very nice spinners, very professional bends

Comment

those look pro

where did you get the wire and what are "wire shaping piers"? any different that small needle nose?

this winter i'm gonna set up a small area, and try my hand at tying siwash hooks, bucktails, parachutes, and spinner baits among other things...

would also like to build a rod.
            sigpic

Comment

grady black showed me how to tie last winter turned out quite a few clousers and deceivers and some that i thought might work. picked up a lot of stuff at PSG ffm from a vendor in delaware, several colors of bt and hackles barbel eyes and thimbles for teasers. i have to figure them out IDK if my vise will open up big enough to hold them. crystal flash, uv pearl flash etc. enough to boggle the mind

Comment

Thanks.

Those spinners look really nice, what kind of wire are you using? I've been experimenting with stainless steel 0.062 tig wire, but your bends look really clean.
                Lets see if i remember correctly i used #13 SS wire for the spinner arms. All bends were made by hand with a set of wire bending pliers. The conical nose type.

I didn't catch anything with these last year. I plan on bringing them back out when I'm in NC for vacation at the end of the month. Maybe the spec's or reds will find them more appealing.

The smaller versions i made did well on the perch though.

Pretty nice. Do you have any bigger blades?
                I do have some larger colorado blades laying around here somewhere. Might try a couple of those for more vibration.

where did you get the wire and what are "wire shaping piers"? any different that small needle nose?
                I got all the stuff from Jann's Netcraft. They have all sorts of goodies there. The wire shaping pliers are like needle nose except the ends are conical.

Comment

those look good!
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                  X