CBBT Striper at night - Dec 28, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Striper at night - Dec 28, 2012

I moved this post from 'Main' to 'Virginia' forum to keep the Virginia Fishing Report in the right place for the future reference:

I decided to fish CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel) at night (instead of HRBT or ER). I wanted to compare the light-line possibility with HRBT (Hampton Road Bridge Tunnel).
    So, I took time - stopped by BassPro and Ocean East 2, and bought more lures and jig for specks stripers.

I launched kayak at 3:00pm
    The water temp dropped by 2 degrees (from 47/48F to 45/46F) for one week. I thought 2 degree drop wasn't good for fishing. It was getting tougher every day when the temperature continuously drops

Anglers on a boat (trolling) told me that I use white on white (White shad on white buck tail). They were dragging on the bottom, and caught every time they passed me.
    Today I didn't have white lures (white jig and white soft lure combo). The whitest combo I had was white jig and BA 7” Albino. As soon as I switched the lure I caught a striper @20”. Then it became dark. I didn’t see stripers on the FF.

Since I am still new to the bait-casting reels, I had several bird nests. I probably spent 2 hours due to D&$# bird nests on the bait-casting reels while drifting (by current) fast. New-to-bait-casting reels, super-braid line and darkeness didn’t mix very well.

3 hours later I caught a striper 17".

I think I will night-fish HRBT when the water temp drops below 47F

Fishing Log:
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

do you drive all they way from chantilly every time? that's a lot of car time =/

Comment

Originally posted by FRED driver View Post
      do you drive all they way from chantilly every time? that's a lot of car time =/
      Yup. I put 20+ k on my trucks just for fishing a year. Tufnik and Redfish might put more than that for fishing.

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Solid--and here I was thinking my 1 hr each way trip to BB was ridiculous

Comment

Nice job Joe! I don't like the long drives but its worth it some days!
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I'm hooked on the Norfolk/VB area, even though it's a 3-4 hour drive one way for me. I went as much as 3-4 times a month last year and put over 28K miles this past year and a half, with over 20K just for fishing. Can't wait for warmer Spring weather.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
            X