More CBBT Stripers and Elizabeth River specks- Dec 23, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More CBBT Stripers and Elizabeth River specks- Dec 23, 2012

I located small schools of stripers in 4 different locations (4 different bridge spans). After catching and releasing 10 stripers at 18- 23 inches, I saw feeding birds about ¾ miles away. I chased the birds for 1.5 hours for the heck of it. I finally caught them where I fished 1.5 hours ago. I could have waited for the birds came to me instead of pedaling very hard. I quitted after catching 8 stripers at 21-23 inches.
    I tried for tog for a while. I didn’t expect any bites from togs at all in 48F degree water but still I tried.

Since the day was still young, I went to Elizabeth River for speckled sea trout. I tested few different colors and caught and released 5 specks at 19-23 inches

Video Log:
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-24-2012, 08:14 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice work Joe!!! Looks like you found them this time. I wish I could have gone with you! Do you like the Curado?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

You the man Joe! Really hoping to get back down there again before end of season, but not sure I will make it. For now I'll fish vicariously through you and your videos.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        Nice work Joe!!! Looks like you found them this time. I wish I could have gone with you! Do you like the Curado?
        Obviously stripers seem have no long term memory – They forgot the semi-massacre happened to them two weeks ago.

Yes I like the Curado. But because this is the first LM reel, I can’t compare with anything yet. I bought it because I got the 25% off by using the friend and family of the employee coupon. An employee at Dicks offer the coupon.

Also I was glad that I put the blood on the “All Star Select” rod that I bought from you. I can cast and jig with one hand with “All Star Select” and the Curado combo with a 2oz jig. This is great because I can steer the rudder while pedaling and jigging. Next time I will bring “Gold Star” so I can put the blood on the rod

Merry Christmas!

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
          You the man Joe! Really hoping to get back down there again before end of season, but not sure I will make it. For now I'll fish vicariously through you and your videos.
          I am planning to head for CBBT on Friday or Saturday. I will post on the Main Forum on Thursday when I will be fishing

joe

Comment

Awwww.....man........I should have joined you but last minute chickened out. Good work! Nice specks.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Wow joe, AWESOME day. You sure are making up for the time you lost healing your foot. By the way, how is that foot. u get all the feeling and movement back in it?
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                Wow joe, AWESOME day. You sure are making up for the time you lost healing your foot. By the way, how is that foot. u get all the feeling and movement back in it?
                At best It will be 80%. But I no longer play soccer.
                regarding fishing, I am sure that fish don't care about my foot.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                  At best It will be 80%. But I no longer play soccer.
                  regarding fishing, I am sure that fish don't care about my foot.

Joe
                  Well, i guess you can stop waiting by the phone for Barcelona or REAL Madrid to call.....should really free you up to fish
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Wow, great winter catches. Aside from a handful of pickerel, I have had several stinky skunk days this month with not even a bite. The winter small mouths laughed at me in the upper potomac, when the grass beds dissapeared so did the bite. Been tough, windy sledding at the BB too.

Really would like to try the cbbt, but my 1 fishing friend with a kayak, is too much of a worry wort over needing to know for certain the winds will be light and the trip will be worth it. I think he's just he's scared of the chop and the current as he won't fish the BB pilings with me either : ).
                    What you give, you become.

Comment

Joe,

As always your a beast.

Great report.

Meadeo
                      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Where do we launch from to fish for specks at Elizabeth River and where do we fish?
                        The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by dson05 View Post
                          Where do we launch from to fish for specks at Elizabeth River and where do we fish?
                          I would also love to learn this info as this fishery at the Elizabeth river is untapped to me at the moment and from all the reports i have read it is great!

Meadeo

Comment

First of all, don’t let the fishing reports mislead you. The place is very crowded and the most of them have been\will be skunked (or nearly skunked). “The same 5 % catches 95% fish” rule applies there. It cost me the first two trips to figure out what/how to do in the small area

Go there after 1-2 days of warming trend. Don’t go there if the weather becomes colder.

Launch from Top Rack Marina:

$5 fee,
                            Sat and Sunday marina hours: 8am - 5:00pm - Launch before 5 pm
                            Must come back by 9pm because the gate closes at 9:00PM (the deli is open until 9:00pm)
                            There is a soft launch spot at the marina (marsh area).

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                              First of all, don’t let the fishing reports mislead you. The place is very crowded and the most of them have been\will be skunked (or nearly skunked). “The same 5 % catches 95% fish” rule applies there. It cost me the first two trips to figure out what/how to do in the small area

Go there after 1-2 days of warming trend. Don’t go there if the weather becomes colder.

Launch from Top Rack Marina:

$5 fee,
                              Sat and Sunday marina hours: 8am - 5:00pm - Launch before 5 pm
                              Must come back by 9pm because the gate closes at 9:00PM (the deli is open until 9:00pm)
                              There is a soft launch spot at the marina (marsh area).

Joe
                              Joe,

Thanks for the info. I will have to put it into practice.

Meadeo

Comment

Working...
                              X