Solomons Island - 10/9/10 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomons Island - 10/9/10 Report

I had a couple free hrs on Saturday to fish so i figured i would try Solomons out this weekend. I have not fished there since the spring so i was not sure what was lurking there this time of year. I planned on catching a mess of croaker so i brought squid with me.

I launched from the boat ramp at 11:00 AM and made my way out to the left of the bridge. I found a nice drop off going from 12ft to 20ft and dropped in. I drifted the ledge for 20 mins with lots of ticks and bait stealer's. Hum something is down there but it ain't croaker. I changed my hook to a smaller one and got a fish on right away.

Oh boy its a puffer . I caught 2 more little inflatables and decided to move to a new location.

I paddled up to the large pier that burned down several years ago and went to the end. Its close to 50ft deep here so i figured i would give it a shot. Bait down, Tap Tap, slow pull and i got excited. I set the hook and it has some weight I'm thinking no way this is a flounder but its acting like one. Well i was right. I was not a flounder but the king of all toad fish. This sucker was close to 4lbs and of course it swallowed the hook.

I cut the line and re-snelled a hook on and left for another location. I decided to make the paddle to the large sandy point. As i got closer i saw why i have not tried this location before. I have looked at the area on topo maps and seen the crazy depth changes. The point literally goes from 1 ft to 60ft in 10 yards. I marked one hole that was 78ft deep 20 yards from shore. I pulled up the the edge of the drop off and setup a drift. I pulled 2 white perch on squid in the first drift but they were too small. I was not paying attention and i drifted to close to the channel marker and shallower water. This is not a good area to be in with large boats flying thru the channel. The wakes go from the deep channel to the 2ft sandbar very quickly and stand straight up. I was close to taking a drink and after 5 mins of fighting the wakes and current i was back in the safer water. It got wild there for several min's. Bad idea to fish that close to the point with all that boat traffic.

I moved back to the 30ft section closer to shore and away from the point and settled down for some long drifts. Nada on the bottom but i did manage 2 blues 12" and 15" on a gulp grub.

It was getting close to my time to leave so i made my way back to the area around the pier and drifted several more times. Caught 2 spot and 2 more toads and called it a day.

The rod holders i installed on Friday worked perfectly as well as the new transducer install. No meat in the freezer but it was a wonderful day out there.

Thanks for the report. I gave up fishing Solomons on Fridays and weekends because of all the crazy/rude/inattentive boaters. The charter boats aren't much better. You probably would've had a better time at Piney Point, which isn't too much farther but much less crowded. On the Patuxent, there's Clark's Landing and the creeks there, or you could launch from the other end of Solomons (see "Solomons launch", lower right hand corner of the first map):

Other Patuxent fishing areas:

There's also a nice shoal between Sandy Point and Drum Point that holds schoolie stripers in the evenings. I've found the traffic is greatly reduced in the evenings, even on weekends. I guess after 6pm, everyone goes home for dinner.

Anyhow, give me a holler the next time you're in the area. Even if I can't go, I might be able to give you some recent info.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks for the info. You are 100% right about the boaters there. They have no issue buzzing you at 30 mph 50ft away. They also blast in and out of the boat ramp like they are running from the cops. Then you have the public pier to avoid. I have found people like to aim at slow moving targets if you get to close to their turf
      Makes for an exciting trip .

I had no idea there was another area to launch from in Solomon's. Do you launch from the sandy area next to the fence and where do you park?

I have looked over google maps and was interested in fishing that area. Looks good there.

Comment

PM sent.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice report and pics...I have a friend that went there this weekend on his boat and limited out on blues. Have no idea where he was fishing but he's been doing pretty good down there.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
          X