I blame it on Redfish - CBBT Dec 16, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I blame it on Redfish - CBBT Dec 16, 2012

I found the striper in 35' of water. But they all had locked jaws. Immediately I felt that I need the darker lures whicj I didn't have. Dave had the issues. Chartreuse and white didn't work.
    I met a guy earlier and I suggested him use dark color. Bam! He landed two on Large black lure (it is a large tube - once popular in the lower bay. We didn't have tog bites. I had 5 striper hits for over an hour. But I couldn't land any of them.
    Well in this case, I will try one more time before the season ends. Perhaps stripers may forget what happened to them a week ago by Redfish

Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-17-2012, 11:59 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Sorry Joe!!! I wished I could have gone! At least you were fishing and not doing chores!

I think the grey/blue bkd or albino flukes are something to always carry in the fall. Who knows if it would have helped though, lockjaw is super frustrating.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice video and thanks for the report. what was the water temp? Is it getting close to the point of shutting down the bite?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That day sucked. I was going in blind because I thought my FF had died due to the battery but at the end of the day I saw Joe had a Lowrance too so I tested it on his kayak and it had the same issue. I decided to open the SD compartment and saw the card was not in all the way. Once I pushed it in, it worked. So for those with Lowrances and a SD card (Elite 4), if your FF turns on and off, check your card! I could of used it to try to find Tufnik's spot during the incoming. On top of that, my steering cable broke and I couldn't hold position anymore so I decided to call it quits when it got close to the time I had to leave.

The Togs had shut down that day and the Stripers were extremely picky. I'm sure the rain had cooled the waters some more and made it stained so the black lures would of helped but all I had were flounder colored gulps and Zmans. The reliable blue crabs had no takers. I even drifted with it but no takers.

One thing we did learn was a local guy told us Gulp made clam baits and he had success with it for Togs and Sheepies so I'll have to try that in the spring and summer.
        Last edited by HokieDJ; 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I got no togs or stripers too. Not even a nibble on the blue crab. Marked a lot of fish though. I'd like to try one more time before the year ends.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
          X