Winter Trout on the Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Trout on the Fly

Well I just sold my kayak and am currently looking for a new one for spring. So in the meantime did some fly fishing in Tulphocken Creek. This was in Berks County PA. I have never fished in the winter time for trout and decided to give it a try. (can't just sit around all winter reading about fishing )

I got out on the water around 10 am last Saturand began casting a San Juan/Lightning bug red combo. At first I questioned why I was out fishing on a cold, windy day all by myself. I had no luck the first few hours and moved to another spot downstream that i had never tried. From midday til 4 pm I was able to catch 5 solid rainbows varying from 9 to 12 inches. I am looking to get out again and if anyone is in the area, please let me know as I always look forward to fishing with new people.
    Attached Files
    2012 Hobie mirage outfitter (RED)

That's great. I grew up in Berks County, but did not start fishing until much later after I moved to Maryland. My brother still lives there and fishes the waters in Berks County every week using either light fly or ultralight spinning tackle. He also caught a few nice trout recently.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Way to go! Heard a lot of times that the afternoon will be the best fishing of the day during winter as the water gets to its warmest point of the day.

Comment

Yeah afternoon tends to be the best right now. John looks like you missed out when you lived in Berks. Im fortunate to have good trout fishing close by, but I would rather live closer to the Flounder! I am certainly considering a move closer to the shore whether it be MD, DE or possibly NC.
        2012 Hobie mirage outfitter (RED)

Comment

Working...
        X