More stripers on Dec 7 at CBBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More stripers on Dec 7 at CBBT

Redfish12 and I went to CBBT for stripers on Friday. Redfish12 located stripers, after that Redfish12 caught more than 30 stripers. And I caught about 12 stripers. The stripers weren’t big. They were 17-25 inch long’

Watch Redfish12 in action:

We fished a few times for togs with frozen blue crab and shrimp. Redfish caught 2 undersized togs on the frozen blue crab.

Tufnik mentioned that the frozen blue crab worked. And this was the second time I witnessed the frozen blue crab worked. This is extremely important to me. In the spring, blue crab are not quite available especially at CHSP. I am going to purchase blue crab now for the next spring (heading for CHSP when the water temp reach 50F).

I am going to vacuum seal the cut crab and keep them in the freezer. So in spring I will have both shrimp and blue crab
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Looks like a lot of fun. Think they'll be around for a couple weeks?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Shadyfisher,
        Sure they will. As long as water temp is above 46F - not scientific but my gut feeling.
        I once caught two on Dec 30, 2009 at HRBT. The water temp was 42F. It was a slow day though

Stripers in Lake Anna are the Chesapeake Bay strain. Some said water temp, 47F in Lake Anna is the best for fishing for them. It also depends on the availability of the baitfish that time.

Unlike HRBT, because the water is deeper in the most part of the CBBT, I think looking for the stripers is important than starting fishing any pilings. My last two trips (one with tufnik and the other with Redfish12), we fished where FF marked massive numbers of fish. I saw many individual stripers with Tufnik, but I saw big clouds, not individual with Redfish12

Additional Info:

I used my stiff Tog rod/reel combo for the stripers. That wasn’t ideal at all. Next time I am bringing a rod/reel combo for stripers

I found three 6 inch menhaden (they were dissolved a little so I am not 100% sure) in the stomach of one striper. I used 7” BA on 2oz jig. Perhaps I should have used 6” BKD or BA on 1.5oz jig – if I had have a striper rod/reel

I can’t usually tell fish on my FF when the water is shallow (15’ or less). I guess fish run away from my kayak and possibly there is too much noise in the water as in HRBT water. I like deeper water 17’ and more, this way, the angle of sonar beam covers larger area.

Chartreuse color is default for me, but Redfish also caught them with grey color

When I search for the fish at CBBT, I kept 40’ away from the pilings because the pilings mess up the reading on the FF (Screen becomes black showing the side of the pilings)

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-09-2012, 09:01 AM.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Good job on the fish. Too bad I can't report the same. I went to CBBT yesterday, Saturday. The wx was fairly good, but the catching sucked. No stripers, no togs. Some spots marked a lot of fish. I think mostly puppy drum, and maybe stripers too. They weren't too hungry. I did catch toads and short puppy drum.

I'm going to do the same, Joe. Buy live blue crab in advance, and quarter and freeze them. When I tested frozen blue crab a few weeks ago at CBBT, I brought frozen and live crabs for togging. I brought live crab just in case the frozen bait didn't work. They seem to work equally well. It was much more convenient to bait the hook when the crab was already quartered in a bag.

Enjoyed the video. Good work.

BTW, what time of the year is when blue crab is not available?
          Last edited by tufnik; 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I'm counting down the days until March when I can get back out there. Anyone recommend a good vacuum sealer?

Comment

HikieDJ and Tufnik

Redfish and I planned for stripers over togs this time. We searched for stripers first. Redfish found them in the almost same place as where we (you and me) found them a week ago

Dave,
              I bought mine from Costco. It is a Food Saver. Yesterday, I vacuum sealed a whole 24" striper (gutted and de-scaled with all fins intact) for my office secretary. I can seal a whole 25” striper with the regular roll of vacuum seal bag. It is the must for anglers. Some times, fillet over a year looked OK. I have an extra freezer and an extra refrigerator for my fishing stuff. If you need a freezer, I can store yours in my freezer.

Tufnik,
              I don’t know from when blue crab becomes unavailable in local stores. I know one thing that last spring, blue crab wasn’t available in spring due to the high price.

I am buying 3 dozens and make 6 bags of 24 chunks. That will be enough along with shrimp. Shrimp are always available

joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Yesterday I went to the same place where our FF went crazy last weekend, Joe. Got not bites

We got our Food Saver vacuum sealer from Costco too. Used it to freeze tog and striper fillets. Works well.

Don't forget DE. Tog season was open late 2011 to May 2012. Minimum was and is 15". I think the open season will be the same for 2013. I heard tog bites are good throughout the year. I think you have go on a boat to deeper water though. As far as DE is concerned, I'm hoping to try early Spring.

Anyone catch stripers at CHSP (in DE) along the deep channels and along the walls? I know people catch them at RI and in the canal, but I'm more interested in CHSP. I'm thinking keeper stripers at the Inner Wall.

Hey, what about shore fishing for stripers off that sandy point at CHSP?

Joe,
                For togs, I use 1 or 1 1/2 ounce sinker on my 1 1/2 ounce rated rod. Works Ok. Sometimes I need to go to 2 ounces, and that same rod does not do well. It's not stiff enough to pull the sinker when you feel tap-tap. The rod bends first before the hook can be set. The hook set is not as quick as with a stiffer rod. I do have a 2-ounce rated rod for heavier sinkers.

Is BA bass assassin?
                Last edited by tufnik; 12-09-2012, 12:40 PM.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

BA = Bass Assassin

Comment

NICE work!

Joe,

If there was a hall of fame for logged hours of kayak fishing video logs, you would set the standard.

Always love catching the vids.

Thanks

Justin

Comment

WTG fellas!!! Looks like you had a blast out there!!! Oh I wann go! I wanna go!!! Redfish12, something weird is going with Sprint's cell towers around my house so that's probably why the call and/or text with the invite! LMFAO Man its a good thing you didn't invite me THIS time, I was stuck banging out this research paper. At least not knowing someone was out there kept my mind from wandering! LOL

Comment

Haha my bad MyT! I figured Friday was probably a no go for most people so I didn't reach out. At least you have the paper done now!

Fishing was pretty fun once we found the fish. I had luck on chartreuse bkds, chartreuse swamp munkey with bkd, sexy shad swamp munkey with grey/blue bkd, 2 oz stingsilver in whtie, and a tandem rig. I was not that skillful with the tandem bkd rig and found fish were only hitting the teaser and I was missing some of the smaller taps. It was pretty fun fishing because even if you missed the hit, you'd usually get another hit right after. We never found the larger fish we were looking for but it was a lot of fun all the same.

Here's some shots of a few fish, sea lice, and Joe in action. I have a bunch of video and hopefully there will be something worth watching on it.

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Michael,
                          Are you back home?

MytMouse,
                          Let me know when you are heading CBBT or CHSP. I will be a good witness of your catching big fish. Some of us are planning to fish tomorrow (Sunday). I will post our plan on the main forum.
                          Joe

Comment

I'm back but no fishing until I get all my chores done... We have her whole family coming to stay with us for Christmas so lots to do.
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                              I'm back but no fishing until I get all my chores done... We have her whole family coming to stay with us for Christmas so lots to do.
                              I hear you.
                              I am cleaning the house while I am working. I have a Christmas party to go this evening. I am wondering if I have time to wash her truck since I will be fishing tomorrow. I cooked dinner 5 times last week.

BTW, I am typing because she is on the phone. I can't vaccum while she is on the phone. Well I can clean the tolits I guess - All these spell my happy life

joe
                              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X