Promotion at Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion at Work

As some of you may know, I work for the FAA making aeronautical charts that pilots use for navigation. http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/ http://www.faa.gov/tv/?mediaId=378

I've been here for just over 9 years now. I moved up the ranks quite nicely, and rather quickly. At the age of 32, I've been a GS-14 for 2+ years now. Well I got another promotion. I am now a manager/supervisor! Though temporary for the time being, I got the news last week of this appointment after the typical application & interview process a few weeks prior. Upon dust settling, the managers above me in their temporary capacities will be converted to permanent. When that happens, I'll be converted to permanent as well. Pay is relatively unchanged, as I was previously making the equivalent manager pay. But now my earning potential/ceiling has been raised even higher.

Unfortunately this means I'll need to be here in the office just about all the time during the work week. In the past, I wouldn't hesitate to call out to spend the occasional weekday on the water fishing or crabbing. What worked out really well were the early morning "quickies", allowing me to fish & crab early, and be in the office by 10:30/11am. With the added responsibility, I have to be here more consistently. So I'll be more of a weekend warrior I guess. Perhaps when the days get longer next year I'll be doing more evening trips.
    <insert witty comment here>

Congrats MetroMan!

But that really sucks about now having less time to fish! Argh... I'm afraid you have no choice but to turn down the promotion...
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Hey MetroMan, I work for the Dept. of Transportation within the Office of the Secretary.
      I do most of my fishing on weekends or when I can on my Friday's off. I'm fortunate that I can work 8, 9 hour days and one 8 hour day and get every other Friday off.

Comment

*yawn*

Comment

Congrats, but all this talk of working has me ready to retire already... anyone have any suggestions on how to retire by the time I'm 30? so 7 more years?

Comment

Already said it, but congrats on the work promo, but Boo for the fishing/crabbing demo...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Oh, more work?!?!.........there goes the fish/crab posts. Hey, congrats!
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Congratulations on the promotion. Sorry about the loss of work schedule flexibility, but it does come with the turf. Now you can savor those federal holidays even more.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Welcome to the weekend warrior tribe and congrats on the promotion!!
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the kind words!

Comment

Big congrats from a pilot who relies on your products daily nice job

Comment

You deserve it dude ......... Congrats ........... GS 15 is Division Level Management here at SSA ........... Hope you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                          *yawn*
                          +1

gb

Comment

^ LMFAO!!! ^

I'm casting at y'all next time on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                              Unfortunately this means I'll need to be here in the office just about all the time during the work week. In the past, I wouldn't hesitate to call out to spend the occasional weekday on the water fishing or crabbing. What worked out really well were the early morning "quickies", allowing me to fish & crab early, and be in the office by 10:30/11am. .
                              Congrats on the promotion and all the well wishes. I'm concerned that you'll be missing out on all those quickies, but since you won't be fishing as often maybe you can still work some in before your commute.

Comment

Working...
                              X