Kiptopeke 11-23-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiptopeke 11-23-12

Instead of taking our wives shopping on black friday, mytmouse and I decided to shop for tog at Kiptopeke. It was quite a day to remember. Not so much due to great fishing either.

I hit the road from Maryland at 5:30am, after a few hours sleep from having fun with family on Thanksgiving. My first destination was Richmond, where myt was spending the holiday. I got there early, and we loaded up the kayaks. This was my first time using our yakima stacker for multiple yaks. It worked like a charm. Myself, myt, & foursteps chipped in the purchase this since we fish together all the time. We will save on gas & tolls in a few trips to pay for its cost.

We cruised east until I heard a weird noise from the front of my car. Seeing as though my car is going on 23 years old & 200K miles, weird noises are not uncommon lol. Unfortunately, THIS happened on I-64 east...

Tire blew on the inner sidewall. It was a relatively minor setback. Changed the tire using the spare, and about 15 minutes later, we were back on our mission. Would've been quicker had we not had to empty the trunk. We stopped at Ocean's East and picked up green crab for tog, and eels for striper. We also had blue crab as well.

The weather at kiptopeke was perfect. Calm wind....calm seas. We fished HARD for hours without much to show for it. We fished every hole on every ship...beach side & bay side...north and south. If the fish were there, they had lock jaw. No bait stealers...hardly ANY hits. Blue crab...green crab...same results.

Later on in the trip I managed to get snagged. I worked for a few minutes to free the snag, moving myself all around that point to free it. After it broke free, I finally felt a THUNK on my line. "THATS A FISH!" It felt good to get a little bit of pullage after so much non-action. It was a 14" tog. My first tog ever.

That's the only pic I have...my battery died :-/

As the sun began to set, we switched over to striper fishing. Not much to report here. We fished our eels at the junctions of each ship. No takers. The conservation police rolled up on us to make sure we were safe and alright...blinding us with the spotlights on their boats. But yeah...no love from the rockfish.

On the drive back, THIS happened...

Yeah..."F*CK" was my first reaction. I kinda forgot about the whole tire-blowing incident earlier. After fishing, we were focused on getting Wawa hoagies in our system, and getting back home. The donut was o match for the pot-hole ridden highways of the Norfolk area. This blew in the dark on 64 West.

We got towed to a shopping center outside of Williamsburg. We waited there until James' wife rescued us. Luckily, we found beer at a local grocery store to keep us occupied

I spent the night in Richmond with myt & family. The next morning I got a replacement tire put on the rim. We drove back down, I swapped it out and made my long drive back home. It was definitely a trip to remember!

I'll be headed back down that way soon for fish with Mark Lozier
    Last edited by MetroMan; 11-25-2012, 08:17 AM.
    <insert witty comment here>

Congrats on your first tog! Keep trying - you'll get'um.

You guys are safe....good thing that flat didn't throw you out of control. Anyway, what a trip. I'd like to get back down there a couple more times too before the year's end. Thanks for the nice report.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Wow, what story. Congrats on the first Tog, you will be back...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Wow ........ sounds like most of my trips last year only worst .......... glad you got out and back safely and your first well earned Tog ........

Comment

sorry about all the troubles but that 1 tog was worth it. i hope you told him/her to eat a lot and grow up fast so we can eat him next year.

car troubles is my worst fear when driving far. mostly, i imagine that my yak will fly off the car and cause mayhem. though it sucked for you, it could have been much worse, compared to all the other things that could have happened. sounds like mty was a trooper... lucky you didnt have a woman in the car! lol.

flat tires (including destroyed spares) sucks. a slow tog bite may be even worse! sorry bout that, i wish you could have had as good a first tog experience as i had last month. i hope that 1 tog gave you an idea of what little terrors they are.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Yeah it was an adventure to say the least! LOL But I will say that even with our car troubles and poor fishing... it was still a BLAST! We still had a million laughs and stories the whole time. I already told MetroMan that next trip I'll be driving MY car! I am just glad that we broke down where we did, about 1.5 hrs from my wife. It could have been wayyyyyy worse! But Sam Adam's makes everything better! LOL When MetroMan showed me that pic of his first Tog I was dying! Its just a sign of how our day was going. BUT I did mention to capture the ordeal on my Contour. Of course it wasn't my intention so the angle is focused on me, but you can still see it! Just pay attention to him, and view it in HD, it looks much better!

http://youtu.be/IsQY-qdacn0?hd=1

I can't wait to roll again soon. I still wanna catch a Kow. From reading other reports online it seems that it was slow for everyone around the area going for Tog and Stripers. So I don't feel tooo bad. But I would feel better if I had some tog or Striper slime on my hands... *sigh* But it was better than nothing!

MYT

Comment

It DEFINITELY could've been a lot worse. The blowouts were non-violent, allowing me to maintain control. The second one happened within "rescue range". Glad it didn't happen on the kipto side...

Comment

LOL had no idea you had me on video guy. *hat tip*

Comment

LOL me either! I lucked up on getting it! I was going through the footage to see how much footage I was able to capture. I got about 3.5 hours and battery life to spare, after my mod! I am going to upgrade to the 32GB card and should be able to get 7 hours of HD video! Woohooo! I still wanna get a GoPro for the "over the shoulder" view. But until then it will be the Contour GPS and the crotch POV! LOL

Comment

that video quality looks really good, and doesnt have the annoying extreme fisheye..

Comment

Sounds like y'all had a lot of fun , even with the misfortune.

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                        I got about 3.5 hours and battery life to spare, after my mod! I am going to upgrade to the 32GB card and should be able to get 7 hours of HD video! Woohooo! I still wanna get a GoPro for the "over the shoulder" view. But until then it will be the Contour GPS and the crotch POV! LOL
                        The "crotch POV", is a pretty unique way to capture someone else catching a fish . Nice catch to both of you.

They say the extreme fisheye effect is minimizable in the new GoPro.

How did you mod to get more battery life?
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

He rigged up the contour to an external 12v battery

Comment

Yeah it is! LOL I will have to remember during a fight to try to pull in front of whoever's catching! LOL My Mod is pretty simple. Contour sells an official car charger for their camera. So I dremeled a hole in the back fo the waterproof housing so I could put the usb connection through to the camera and silicone it to make it waterproof. As seen here:

From that I connect it to a fused female lighter adapter and soldered and shrink wrapped push connectors to slide on on the battery. I use a 12 volt backup type of battery.

Soldered connections:

The setup has served me well. The waterproof case is designed to be used with the camera's back door installed, but it's Spring loaded and I didn't want to drill through the back door in the even that I want to use the camera for whatever reason outside of the waterproof case.

So I just slide the door off and I can tae the spring loaded part into place. This part is a pain, so sometime this week I am going to remove the spring. This is the back of the camera, so you can see how it just slides in and the USB connector goes right in!

And thats it! I was recording on just about the highest settings. GPS enabled and 720p @ 60FPS. The battery hardly even takes a hit! The factory battery works all of 45 mins. And that's if you remember to cut it on and off. With the external battery I just leave it on and the Contour splits the video into 3.5 GB files.

Comment

Very clever. I've been wanting to rig something like that for my GoPro, but never got around to it. The GoPro 2 last about 3 hours on a battery. The battery backpack is supposed to double that, but I've never been able to get 6 hours out of it. Usually about 4.5 hours, which ain't bad, but not long enough to get my last minute fish.
                              Mike S.
                              Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X