CBBT Fri, 11-23-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Fri, 11-23-12

It was a really nice day. Blue sky, about 60, light breeze and small chops.

Headed toward the 1st island. Lots of boats were out. Most were trolling. I didn't see anyone catch fish. I also didn't see anyone on the two head boats pull up any fish before they left the area. I marked a lot of fish around and away from the pilings all day. Don't know what kind of fish they were, and they weren't biting. A couple yakers were night fishing for stripers as I was going in. They didn't catch anything.

The outgoing tide had a fair running current and it was turbulent around the pilings. It was hard maintaining position and the quirky eddy would knock me out of position. I did manage to get the rig down deep along a piling and was lucky to land a 22" tog. It was the only nibble/bite/catch all day. (lol....I used only one blue crab all day)
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

When you only catch one, its nice when it looks like that! Nice fish!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice fish indeed! Bet you got some good exercise too. ComeOnFish was suggesting that the tog bite isn't so good under 50 degree water temp. Is that your experience too tufnik?
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Reference this post: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...og%2C+activity

I think they're active "about 50," give or take a few degrees. I caught my citation tog last year in mid-December. I also caught togs in March of this year. Water temps were below 50. I can't tell if slight temp differences affect their eating preferences. I use shrimp, blue crab and clams. You have to keep trying, and you have to risk losing rigs by dropping them in the holes/structures (in front of their faces). If you don't get tog bites, you can always fish for stripers
        Last edited by tufnik; 11-24-2012, 11:10 PM.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

ah yeah, i remember that thread. i barely knew what a tog was when i first read it. but now that im a togaholic, i probably have 1 or 2 more va beach trips left in me this winter. 1 for tog and one to catch a huge striper with kayak kevin music in the background.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

WTG Tufnik! We were contemplating on hitting the CBBT as well but went with Kipto instead. Fishing was slow for us too. The current was ripping our way too it was crazy hard to stay over the holes. But fun none the less. I think I might wait until the Spring before I hit the CBBT. I don't think I wanna make the first trip in cold weather.

Comment

Nice going Tufnik!
              GB

Comment

Working...
              X