8 days in the Conch Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 days in the Conch Republic

awsome time in Key West! the weather was great but a little windy and the kayak rental places most days wouldnt rent yaks with the wind over 25kts. i was looking into jetskis to fish from but that was priced out of my budget so it was shore fishing from some good spots i know like white street pier and the shor around the condos plus some other places further up in the keys.

with it being so windy sight fishing was out so we were catchin pin fish and grunts for bait but little strips of cut bait didnt last very long on the hook besause the little yellow tails are very fast. the most productive bait was gulp 2" glow shrimp on a 1/8 oz red jig head which produced quit a few mangrove snapper.

took the party boat out on the 15 th and had a good time with a new spieces for me a cobia! we were fishing like every on else on the boat on the bottom with cut squid and were doing well on porgies, snapper and grouper but i wanted to change up so i tird on a 1/4 oz char. slipper head jig i picked up at key west B&T made with a circle hook yhat caught my eye and added a piece of cut grunt and let drift back and fall, went to remove a large grunt from my wifes line and wham my reel starts singing so i had to let hers go and play this fish. i had brought my cabelas salt striker 7' rod rated to 30# test with an okuma avenger abf 4000 with 20# 832 braid, no problem handling the cobia very smoth drag and plenty of rod to handle a 29" cobia. sucks that they need to be 33"to keep.

the next day we took the high speed frerry to the Dry Tortugas and fished around the moat wall around Fort Jackson, very cool place! caught a new spieces there, cubera snapper! very hard fighting fish i thopught the first one was going to break my med lt rod and i only had 8# FL crystal on it with a 5' piece of 20# fluoro carbon leader. very beautiful fish and very large teeth of curse my wife had the camera out snorkling with my neice so i got no pics of them.

still going through pics and will post more later
    Attached Files

Good to hear from you John. It all looks like fun. Get your cold weather gear out and come on home.

Comment

Very nice! Sucks about the wind but at least you caught a few! Sweet cobia!

Comment

Sweet John,
        What party boat did you go out on? I am here on Marathon key for the next few days and am looking at the Marathon Lady party boat.

Oh, and yes the wind is still blowing steady from the north at 15+ Effing wind.
        Jim

Hobie Outback
        TKAA member
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Lucky you... And nice Cobia!
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

sorry ive been waiting for my wife to get pix from her camera and she still hasnt but i have a couple from the cell.
            the z-man shrimp caught a couple nice cubera snapper and the little calcutta jig caught the cobia
            Attached Files

Comment

Ahh yes, always nice to fish in Florida.

Comment

Working...
              X