Occuquan River - Tidal Crappie 11/11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occuquan River - Tidal Crappie 11/11/12

Got to Occuquan park around 10 am sunday, weather was fantastic. With that said there was about 40-50 bass boats fishing the river hard. Did not bother fishing any of the big docks as they were patroled by marina staff who are quick to ask youto stay away from private property.

Found pods of crappie along the shoreline in the floating docks and pilings in 6-8 ft of water. Caught 20+ in several hours only keeping fish over 10 inch.

Was fun, bite was a slow take so no fast and furious action but they are eating which is always a good thing..

Once the weather cools off a bit the docks should be more accessible and fishing should pickup.

Meadeo
    Attached Files
    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Nice catch, thanks for the report. What did you catch them on?
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
      Nice catch, thanks for the report. What did you catch them on?
      Majority of them were caught on 2" bass assassins in pumpkin. I caught some on white crappie magnets also.

I bet i would have even had better luck if i had not run out of Bobby Garlands 2" swim shads in Electric Chicken.. No joke best crappie bait i have ever used.

Meadeo

Comment

Nice bucket of crappie there. I was thinking of fishing the Occoquan for some crappie the week of Thanksgiving. I think you may have pushed me over the edge =).
        Sun Fishin'

Comment

I also posted my results. Looks like we both had a pretty good day. The past weekend was a great time to hit the crappie. Lots of other anglers were out and there was enough action to keep everyone happy.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Yeah the river was crowded..

Any lunkers for you? my biggest was right at 13" which is a strong fish but not the 14-15" fish of last winter.

Meadeo

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
              Yeah the river was crowded..

Any lunkers for you? my biggest was right at 13" which is a strong fish but not the 14-15" fish of last winter.

Meadeo
              No, not really. I'd say average size was 10 3/4. Largest just shy of 13". I tried to be a little picky and only kept my best 8.
              I switched to 1/8th ounce jig head in hopes of presenting a bigger profile and attract the bigger ones. Didn't get anything from it. I think they really had something going for the 1/16th but my color selection was limited.
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                I think you may have pushed me over the edge =).
                Hey Sun, I'm feeling the same way. I've never been to either occoquan or crappie fishing so it would be a first for both!

When do you think you may go? I'm off Wednesday...Let me know, maybe we can coordinate schedules
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                X