Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kipto 11/10 CBBT 11/11

Kipto 11/10
    I got home from Reno, NV for a work trip at 2:30 am saturday morning, finished up some last minute packing and made off for kipto by 3:30. I made it to kipto at about 7:45 and met up with Sun, Chexone, OBX Rat, Grilled and Hemmingway.

We hit the water a little after 8 and started toggin with blue crab and shrimp for bait. I started off on a good note getting bites in the first hole that I picked. After several misses, finally, I hooked him and got him all the way to the surface only to spit the hook. It was a nice sized male that would have gone in my cooler... I tried a little longer in the same spot, but couldnt get him to bite again.

I moved further along the south ships without much luck until the southern most ship. I had bites on three drops and finally hooked up with a really solid fish. I got him to the surface and as I grabbed my net, again he spit the hook! This one was probably pushing 20 or more. I worked along the outside of the south ships and finally landed a tog, but it was only 14.5". Worked the north ships with nothing to show for it and came back to the south ships to try to find the big tog again. I caught another short tog at about 13" and a 16" Puppy drum. I was drifting and hopping a shimp along the bottom near the end of the southern most ship and hooked up with another heavy fish. I was hoping for a nice tog, but instead pulled up a 19 1/2" puppy drum, not a bad surprise.

Everyone else did pretty well on the tog with 2 keepers and some shorts all around. I'm sure they will post their own reports. Sun, Chexone and Grilled hit HRBT for some light line fishing, but after not sleeping at all the previous night, I decided I was just too tired. I went to my hotel and fell asleep at 7pm.

11/11 CBBT
    Launched at 7:45 under clear blue skies and on calm seas and ran into Tufnik and HokieDJ and later was joined by Grilled. Although the weather was beautiful, the fishing was pretty slow. I managed to catch a few short puppy drum, one of which had about 10 spots, but nothing else. I didnt take any pics at CBBT, but Tufnik took a pic of the one puppy drum, maybe he'll post later. I left around 11:30 and everyone else stayed out to give it a try a little longer.

It was nice fishing with everyone. Here are the only two pics I took.

Attached Files
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Nice work and thanks for the report. Wish I could have made it down there. The weather window looks fantastic.

Bummer about the missed fish. If it's any consolation, the tog you got in the boat was a MD keeper last year.

Comment

Grabbing the net and then the big one spits.........I feel your pain too.

Anyway, good to see you guys again, out there at CBBT on a nice Sunday. I posted your pic on the other thread, Ryan. Here it is again.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tufnik; 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

The fishing was definitely slower on Saturday than the 2 previous times I was there several weeks ago. Either the tog were not there, they were not hungry, or they weren't interested.

I have a theory: they were there, they were hungry, but they weren't interested... of course, this is pure conjecture, but, I read somewhere that tog, especially the bigger ones, aren't often the first to attack a bait. They wait around a little while as smaller fish create a frenzy, and then move in and take a big bite. The biggest difference in the fishing this time around was that the small sea bass that kept nibbling and stealing bait the previous times I was there were no longer there. My theory is that the sea bass create a frenzy that make the tog jealous and so they get excited and move in to take a big bite. With the sea bass excitement gone, the tog were not as easy to get.

That said, we did still get a bunch, and they were fun fighters as usual. I caught 5, with 2 keepers just above 16". 2 on crab, 3 on shrimp. Shrimp seemed to do better and were easier to fish with without all the sea bass stealing them.

Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

More pics...

Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice meeting some of you on Sat. I decided to work for other species on Sat. instead of togging, bad choice on my part. I did get the skunk off on Sun. with a 17in. Pup over on Fisherman's Is. I plan to keep fishing, so keep the reports coming.

Comment

Nice pics Mike! Thanks for being our photographer
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sorry about Sat. night and Sunday guys got a little too drunk with some friends I have not seen in such a long time, hope you made out well and it was great to get back out with you guys and oh yeah the keeper togs made for a nice dinner!
                Last edited by OBX_RAT; 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM. Reason: wrong input
                '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Kiptopeke was a fun trip! The HRBT was a neat experience too...Mike and I checked it out after dinner, but we didn't catch anything.

This was my first tog trip, and it was fun! I came home with 2 keepers, one at 18" and one at 16". I let go many at 14 and 15 inches, with one just tick short of 16 on my hawg trough =(.

Here are some of my pictures from the day. A more detailed story of the day can be found on my blog.

Calm water...

My son has those same teeth!

Mike's first of many.

First time using panfish portrait...couldn't angle it right. But that's a pretty fish =)

This area was good to us.
                  Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice blog report Sun, I'm taking off work next wednesday and considering running down to kipto again and possibly bringing my brother... I need some redemption, this time with rest beforehand.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I had a great time Saturday, I took home 2 tog 18 1/4" and 16 1/2" they made some awsome fish tacos for the wife and me. I caught 5 or 6 shorter tog smallest being about 9" it was a cute little fish.

I am already thinking about heading back down this weekend but may stay local, not sure yet.

If anyone wonders why you would need some type of protection on the sides of your yak just look at some of the pictures and notice the sides of the ships. It is some nasty growth on there.
                      Jim

Hobie Outback
                      TKAA member
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Nice going fellas. I love the pics!!
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Here's a short clip of the big one that got away:

Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X