10-minute limit in Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-minute limit in Severn

For the past several years, two local fishing clubs (Severn River Rod and Keg Club and the Upper Bay Bad Boys) hold a inter-club tournament, primarily for bragging rights. This year's tournament was held today.

MKF member Reelaxin10 (Shane) joined the SRRKC earlier this week. I fished the tournament from my Scout center console (Small but Perky) today in the Severn and was accompanied by Shane. Shane did quite well. In our first 10 minutes of fishing this morning between 7:20 and 7:30 , he limited out on rockfish with a 23.5" and a 19" fish. He was jigging a BA on a light jighead in 20 ft of water.

After that 10 minutes of glory, the rockfish bite in the river shut off. Likewise, the perch were not biting either on debris piles, oyster bottoms, or in shallow creek areas.

We did pick up several pickerel while working some tidal creek shorelines. Shane caught his first ever tidal pickerel at 17" and 21".

In case you are wondering about the tournament outcome, the UBBB caught the largest rockfish (35") and the largest perch (11.5"), but the SRRKC had the longer total of the top three rockfish to claim the trophy for this year.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John- Thanks again for the open invitation to join the SRRKC and it was great meeting other people in the area that enjoy fishing as much as I do. I would definitely recommend any other SnaggedLine members that live in the Severn area to check out the group. Getting out on your boat was a nice change of pace from the yak and like you said after "10 minutes of glory" the Striper bite shut off. You put me on the fish and I was fortunate enough to keep that 23.5'' fish for dinner tonight and I'm attaching pictures of the meal below; cooked it with some butter and herbs and it was delicious! Really looking forward to getting out there in the yak after learning some more about tidal pickerel habits and fishing for them in the coming months. They definitely put up a good fight on ultralight tackle!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Reelaxin10; 11-10-2012, 09:02 PM.
    Shane
    Hobie Outback

Comment

great stuff!

maybe a kayak division?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
        great stuff!

maybe a kayak division?
        Who needs a kayak division -- we can hold our own most of the time. The place where Shane caught his rockfish is readily accessible from a popular kayak launch spot. He could just as easily have caught those nice fish from his kayak. Now that he knows the place and technique, he can keep catching.

The Severn River Rod and Keg Club welcomes all fishermen, regardless of whether you fish from a powerboat, kayak, canoe, or shoreline, or just like to hang out with other fisherman, tell tall tales, and drink beer. We do hold several tournaments each year -- some of which allow unlimited geographical range for fishing (like the two-month-long summer perch tournament and yesterday's inter-club tournament), while other tournaments require fish to be caught from the Severn River only. For example, our recently completed month-long Rocktoberfest and the soon-to-start winter-long pickerel tournament are limited to fishing in the Severn. Last year a kayak angler (me) tied for first place in the pickerel tournament -- we don't need any special disposition -- we can access shallow spots that the big boats cannot reach.

We meet once a month (usually the first Wed of the month) at different local watering holes around Annapolis, Crownsville, Severna Park, and Arnold.

As Shane noted, he came to our monthly SRRKC meeting last Wed and decided to enter the pickerel tournament. By paying his $10 entry fee, he became an SRRKC member for life. Another MKF member, dsiekman, also joined last week. If you like to fish in the Severn River and tributaries, consider joining the SRRKC. The entry deadline for the pickerel tournament is Nov 15 -- contact me for details.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
        X