Occoquan Reservoir - Any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan Reservoir - Any good?

I'm moving pretty close to the Occoquan Reservoir in the Lake Ridge area and was wondering if the fishing is any good in there. I've fished down stream of the damn, closer to the river, but never above the damn. Is it worth the time? How much paddling should I expect? I would hopefully be launching at what looks to be a dock at the end of Cotton Mill Drive.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Is this the same place as Fountainhead?
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by perchy View Post
      Is this the same place as Fountainhead?
      Yea I think so. I'm not familiar with that body of water but a Google search shows Fountain Head park is just North of where I would be. Specifically I would be fishing just upstream of Shady Run, if that helps.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

I have a coworker who goes there pretty frequently. He says you need to put in some time to catch them. Green pumpkin senkos are a sure bet in the brush piles. From the map, it looks reminiscent of Rocky Gorge with lots of structure and coves along a long lazy river. Unfortunately places like that have a lot of "fishy" looking water, and it boils down to the old 99% of fish are in 1% of the water game.
        Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
        Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
        Northern Pike: 24 inches
        Crappie: 12 inches
        Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by perchy View Post
          Unfortunately places like that have a lot of "fishy" looking water, and it boils down to the old 99% of fish are in 1% of the water game.
          I hear that. I've spent lots of time in places similar. Thinking there HAS TO BE a fish here, but then getting skunked. I wonder if its a good spot to pan fish this winter. Only time will tell I guess. I may have to do some research and get familiar with the place before wasting time paddling around. thanks!
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Been to the Resrvoir once

I live 5 minutes from the Reservoir and I have been there once (when I took my new kayak on its virgin trip) Didn't do any fishing at that time because I have no clue on how to catch fresh water fish, I am getting there though. The place looks nice to kayak it and I'm sure there has to be fish there. I will recommend you the Occoquan River as well as Pohick Bay and Leesylvania State Park. They put you right on the Potomac and will tell you that as far as catching fish there, you won't be disappointed.

Comment

My dad and I have fished it in the summer...Very nice scenery, but it gets a bit of traffic and big bass are tough to find (they are there though). Good crappie fishing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FRED driver View Post
                My dad and I have fished it in the summer...Very nice scenery, but it gets a bit of traffic and big bass are tough to find (they are there though). Good crappie fishing as well.
                I think crappie will be my target for that area. Getting a few little bass my just be a bonus.
                -Jon
                Revo 13

Comment

I only fish below the dam in the tidal portion of the river as the fishing is 500% better. I have fished extensively above and it is a tough place to fish and you have to be really dailed in on where the fish are holding. With that said every year several citation sized crappie are caught in that section above the dam.

Meadeo
                  2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Working...
                  X