301 & Potomac (Nice Bridge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 301 & Potomac (Nice Bridge)

I have not actually ever been down here on the kayak or seen anyone around the bridge when driving however from this board it sounds like there is some activity down there. Where are you launching from? I know there is the small visitors center once you cross the bridge on the VA side. Anything on the MD side that is accessible near the bridge? I thought there was a marina down there, although I assumed there was probably a fee associated with launching there.

Captain C-Hawk is a member of Aqualand, the marina on the MD side, and he's posted rates on here before. I've launched from the beach on the VA side in the past as well as in the Port tobacco creek area.

There are usually some small snappers and rock around this time of year in that area. White perch should also still be around. Earlier in the summer and spring you can catch croaker out there.

I fish the area regularly from a boat, was actually supposed to go today but it's too windy.

Do you fish that area often?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I came across another board online and they posted $8 for launch fees from Aqua land, not sure how accurate that is. For launching a kayak I don't believe in paying launch fees unless there is no other place to launch from in the immediate area. For a boat where i'm using a ramp, etc that's different. Sounds like the VA side will be the way to go.

I usually drop out from Chapel Point SP (Port Tobacco), although have never ventured down toward the bridge as that looks like a haul and don't want to get stuck out there if the conditions change.

I enjoy the kayak, but want to explore and sometimes I feel limited with the Kayak. Not sure, might have to look into boats in the near future.

Comment

It's two miles to the other side of the bridge I think, so if you plan on fishing that side then $8 might be worth it. I have been wondering how close they'll let a kayak get to those docks on that side... I might try paddling down to 33 or 35? can't remember the number at some point soon. 30 is too far from the bridge for me and I feel like every time I'm in a boat the tide is ripping through there. If you search 301 on this site you should see some other reports from there.

Good luck and see you out there. We've been doing M&G's for members of the site, this month's is in CHSP up in DE if you're interested!

Comment

Actually - search Potomac... 301 doesn't work

Comment

The last time I paid the ramp fee at Aqualand it was $7.00. The biggest problem there is the gate. They unlock it at daybreak and lock it soon after sunset. For that reason I get the season pass which starts out at $125 from April 1st thru March 31. This gets you the combination for the lock. I launch the boat here often to increase my fishing range. If you take your yak be sure to play by their stupid rules. While there's 1/4 mi. of open beach, the kayak launch spot is the clear space just to the left of the concrete boat ramp. Took me a lot of begging and arguing to get that concession. They wanted us to go over the rubble and rip-rap on the right side of the ramp.

As for the fishing, it starts as soon as you go under the bridge and reach the fence where the current from the plant becomes evident. Cast soft plastic toward the gravel shoreline as you paddle toward the discharge. Paddle thru the discharge and cast around the eddy on the other side. If the tide is coming in you'll notice a current rip perpendicular to the beach. Quietly cross over the break and cast your lures along the edge. If conditions are right this is the best spot in the area. After finishing here it's all shoreline casting. Work the point below the current, then around the cove to the wall. Both ends of the wall hold stripers this time of year. The down stream end is the best, especially on the first half of the incoming tide. From here cast out your plastics and paddle past the creek mouth (Pasquahanza Cr.). The whole stretch from the creek to the first house up on the hill is a good area. Paddle to one end and drift back with the tide and cast toward and away from shore. This is a large gravel bottom flat from 2 - 4' deep. There's almost always a school of stripers in here, the trick is locating them. The stealth of the kayak helps here. There's a pretty good top water bite here at daybreak and again from just before sunset till dark. Best wind for fishing the area is anything with an E on the end. Anything from S. to N. on the west side of the compass can be rough. Any of the easterly winds bring more water to the shore making it even better. Nothing like a rainy NE. breeze for this whole area. I haven't tried the new dock directly out from the plant. As I don't think it's in operation yet, so the lights aren't usually lit at night. I believe this will be a hot night bite once they turn them on. So far I haven't seen any more than no trespassing signs along shore. If you need to beach for a break, the shore below the creek is OK, just don't chance it on plant property.

The whole paddle from launch to the house on the hill is between 1/2 to 3/4 mi. which makes for an easy trip and usually a nice limit. Please don't share this with boaters, last thing we need is a crowd of outboards.

Comment

Working...
            X