Question for Hobie Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Hobie Guys

To upgrade from the standard stock fin... the ST or ST turbo fins?

Appreciate any and all feedback...!

turbo, feel the burn

Comment

I was wary of getting the ST Turbos. A few years ago, they were causing a lot of problems--cracks in the drive slot, popping out the lock nuts, straining the lock nut support columns.

I opted for the plain STs and haven't had any problems. I just got a GPS, and the first trial run showed my cruising speed to be around 4-4.5mph in my bloated Outback. I got up to 5.3 at one point, and I wasn't sprinting yet. I haven't done enough trials yet to account for wind, tide, and fatigue, but it didn't seem to matter which direction I went this time. If you have a Revo, you might be able to maintain 5mph easily.

With both the STs and ST Turbos, you can adjust the tautness of the fin, which affects both your speed and the difficulty of pedaling. I'm not sure where I have mine adjusted at the moment, but it's somewhere near the middle, I think.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Turbo's, definately faster and you go further for the amount of work, you will feel like you have had more of a workout. One drawback because they are longer you will hit bottom sooner and will hit more stumps, logs, rocks in shallow water if not paying attention. They also don't lay quite as flat against the hull.

Comment

i have the st fins also. so fare no problems. i might end up trying the turbo fins next year. another thing to add to the list this winter
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

you definitely feel the turbos and depending on the length of your legs the more power you can develop. on the gps just putting i was doing 3.7mph and in a sprint i reached 6.5mph but that's not lasting very long. i was having hamstring soreness but thats getting better i have to remember to stretch out before heading out. mine are tightened about 3/4 tight, i think next time i go out ill tighten them a little more

Comment

Working...
            X