Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT & Kipto 20-21 Oct

Sat, CBBT

Southbound HRBT was blocked so I had to take the 664 detour. It delayed me for the waiting fish, but I was on the water before 9 am. HokieDJ joined me later. Turned out to be a nice day.

Worked the pilings with fiddlers and blue crab as I headed toward the first island. I did get one exciting hook-up. It was big and spooled the reel a bit. Fought it for maybe one to two minutes. It spit out the hook - bait and all. Dang! Maybe it was a big red.

My catch:
    - many toads
    - too many sea bass
    - 8 puppy drum (only 1 keeper at 18.5", my first ever keeper redfish!)
    - 1 sheepie (17")
    - 2 togs (1 keeper at 20.5")

About 5 pm, the afternoon was really nice. I wanted to fish more, but was out of bait and was tired anyway. A good day at CBBT.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Sun, Kipto

As I stood on the sand at CBBT looking out at the water at 6 am, I was sorely disappointed. Wind was high and the surf was rough. I called HokieDJ and we decided to go to Kipto.

I was on the water before 8 am.

Worked the north wrecks with fiddlers and blue crab. Nada....only sea bass and toads. So I went to the south wrecks. Met HokieDJ there and he was already jigging for flounder. In fact, he caught two, one at 22". Wow, I pretty much given up on them because I thought the flatties were in the deep by now. Good job, Dave. I think you're the Flattie Master.

I did hook up with a puffer. When I brought it up to the surface, it started inflating and making funny sounds.

Winds and chops/swells picked up a bit in the pm. It was tough to fish the wrecks. Bang, bang, bang, ..... against the wreck and it did a number on my yak. Current was funny. You turn left and the yak turned right. Wx settled out about 4 pm. I still had lots of bait, but I was tired and ready to go home.

My catch:
    - many toads
    - way too many sea bass
    - 1 puffer
    - 6 togs (2 keepers at 16 and 17")
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-22-2012, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Nice work on at CBBT, it's nice to finally get a slot puppy after so many small ones this year... I got my first this weekend too.

Comment

I think your sheep is a juvinille black drum.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Oh yeah, alomst forgot....nice going, man.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
            That is true... I didn't even look at that picture when I read it before

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
              I think you're right. I checked the regs just now, and it turns out to be legal (min is 16"). Phew, for a minute I thought I took home a no-no.

Comment

Nice! Congrats on the keeper puppy.

I think I may have seen you below the bridge Saturday. I was going over, honked and you signaled back...

Nice tog!
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

To add to the report:

Saturday:

Worked the CBBT all the way to the 1st Island for the time. Caught 14.5 sea bass (too bad I'm a week late for the season) and tons of baby sea bass, toads and under sized reds. On the way back, Tufnik radios that he's found a honey hole where he got a keeper tog and red. When I got there, I managed to get a keeper 16.5 tog before sunset. My day was saved.

Sunday:

Worked the ships and got a couple of undersized togs and sea bass. Once the outgoing current started moving at a nice clip, I decided to try some floundering. Hooked up a small baby flounder and I knew I had a shot. On the next set of drifts I hooked on something and felt the head shakes and drag pulls. I knew it was either flounder or keeper puppy drum. After a few minutes fighting the drag pulls, I saw that it was a nice sized flounder. I was nervous about landing it because I didn't have a net but I managed to see that I had a nice hookset on him so I leg kicked him in and it measured to be my personal best at 22.5. That should of been my TKAA flounder . Another set of drifts and I got another baby and something keeper size that came off the hook on the way up. I decided to switch in a new set of fresh gulp but this time put on the big boy size mullet (bigger bait = bigger fish?) on the teaser because all the flounders were caught on it. On the drift, another hook set and in came a 18.5 flounder. The current died and so did the bite. I switched back to togging but the 20 mph winds were killing me and I was wet and tired by then so I packed it up at 1pm and went home.

Comment

Nice going man, that's a BIG flounder!
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

There were a couple of honking vehicles during that day, Chexone. One of them was an 18-wheeler. I really didn't know who they were, but I just wave back.

Did your past flattie bites happen on the higher lure too, Dave? I'm thinking of changing my double lure rig. Right now my lures are about a foot and a half apart. I noticed your lures are about six inches apart. Maybe that's the ticket. Also, would you say flatties prefer the curly tails over the bucktails?

Comment

WTG Tufnik!!! Man I need free time like you!!! LOL. The kids don't mind so much... The wife... Whole different ballgame!

Comment

All the flounders that day took the teaser and not the bucktail. However it's usually the bucktail that gets most of the hits. Course I have only tried this at the CBBT and Kipto.

Comment

Working...
                          X