Kiptopeke Tautog 10/20/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiptopeke Tautog 10/20/12

Saturday morning, I left DC around 4am. I was on the water in Kiptopeke before 9am.

The surf was rather high. Several other yakers were standing on shore looking out, wondering whether to go out. They saw me gearing up and asked if I was going. I said "hell yeah, I didn't drive 4 hours to watch the waves..." They eventually went out too. It wasn't bad at all on the shore side of the ships, but the other side... well let's just say you wouldn't want to have been there. As the winds died throughout the day, it got much better on both sides.

I got to a hole on the calm side and put in my first line... 10 seconds it was in before I had a tog on... 15.75 incher.

I caught 11 in all, including 4 keepers (2 @ 16" and 2@ 18") I only kept 2. I used up a dozen blue crabs and maybe 20 shrimp. Only caught 1 on the shrimp. The rest of the shrimp got stolen, probably by sea bass and tog. The blue crab is great because it lasts a long time if you hook it right. It has to be difficult to get on the hook, otherwise, it will be easy for the tog to steal it. I only lost 1 rig.

Tog are now officially my favorite fish to catch so far. My arm is sore today from fighting them, but probably mostly from setting the hook a million times (and missing). On one hook set towards the end of the day, I was tired, and the tog almost ripped the rod out of my hands... instead of going up to set the hook, the rod went down! I missed him that time, but I think it may have been an 18 incher I caught a few minutes later. My drag was tightened all the way and he still pulled out some line.

I found that it was much harder to catch them during high current times. Slack is best... they don't seem to like it if the bait is moving too much, and even with a 4oz sinker, I couldn't keep it down. The current really flows fast along the bottom of the ships.

After Kipto, I launched from the Willoughby Boat Ramp to hit the southern HRBT at night. There is a sandy launch there for yaks. It was dead calm out there. There were at least a dozen yakers fishing the bridge. I only caught a few small flounder and weakfish.

I got back home at 3am and slept for almost 12 hours.

Last edited by chex; 10-21-2012, 09:10 PM.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Nice Work Mike!!

Comment

so, are you now a taug-o-holic like Joe and Tufnik??
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
        so, are you now a taug-o-holic like Joe and Tufnik??
        I think so. Tog have a great personality and are lots of fun. It's just too bad they live so far from here.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice, glad you got some quality fish! I think your 19 incher is still out there waiting for you to catch it again. When we go in November I want to fish CBBT for tog if the conditions are ok.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yeah, CBBT... need... more... bigger... togggg

A yaker showed me photos of a 21 incher he caught at Kipto last tuesday, so there are some bigger ones under those ships too.

I just posted the video (above).
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice. The winds were rough today at kipto too. Tufnik caught a 21 inch tog at CBBT on sat and a 17 at kipto before I left.

At kipto you drift fish when the current is moving and tog when it's slack

Comment

great job Mike. I really liked your video.
                <MIKE>
                Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
                Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

No wonder Dave and I didn't catch that many togs on Sun......you fished them out on Sat. Good work. I think you got tog-fever now.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks for the report, mike. I was thinking of going to vb next weekend, and didn't plan on fishing for tog.....but now I'm considering adding kipto to the list of places to fish.
                    Sun Fishin'

Comment

thaqt fish flipping off the hog trough.....Ha Ha I have SOOOOOO been there.
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Just curious, what's the water temp. down at Kipto now?

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                          Just curious, what's the water temp. down at Kipto now?
                          Mid 60s... http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/por...%20Meteorology
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks Mike,
                            Not much change from 2 weeks ago. I bookmarked the link.
                            Gary

Comment

Great report and job down there man!!! Tog are so much fun! I need to get some in my life soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X