Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico

I heading to mexico cancun area in april 2013 was wondering if any one knows of any kayak fishing charters there Im going fishing while there and would love to do it from a kayak.
    D Hawk
    Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
    Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

I was in Cancun last June, but had very little time away from the conference. There were places across from my hotel that would either: a) rent kayaks , or b) take you charter fishing on a powerboat. I did not see any places that offered guided kayak fishing. But you have a long time to plan ahead and search the internet.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks i found one outfit just not alot of info on em might just take a rod and hijak a yak from the resort and see what happens
      D Hawk

Comment

dhawk - Do you know where you're staying in Cancun? Fishing there can be kind of tricky but can be done and can be really good at times! There's a few different ways you could go about it. What are you looking to catch and what kind of gear are you bringing down with you?
        www.anglerswithoutborders.com
        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I will be staying near playa del carmen I looking at inshore species like bone fish and such havent decided on what to take yet
          D Hawk

Comment

dhawk where you're staying makes it a little difficult but depending on what you bring and how adventurous you are you could really get into some good fish including snook and tarpon. I'm talking about going it alone. You could of course get a guide. I'd say your best bet if you want to go it alone is to rent a kayak and hit the area south of Playa Del Carmen. Bones come past almost all the beaches in schools but right in front of Playa del carmen they have cleaned a lot of the coral and rocks to make it a better swimming beach. South you'll find there are as many people to look out for. Fishing from the beach in Playa del Carmen and Cancun in front of the resorts is frowned upon but if you get up early you can squeeze in a few hours before anyone would take notice. If you make your way up north to the hotel zone in Cancun, which is a cheap cab ride or short bus ride, there are two inlets into the lagoon/estaury these are solid spots and the only two I fished where I know you shouldn't have any problems. At one point a police office was standing next to me waiting to see if the fish were biting. He said no body ever fishes those areas. Those areas however have some real surprises, big jacks are usually there in the day and at night there's quite a bit of activity at both inlets lots of tarpon, barracuda, and snook breaking the surface. I got bit off a lot and didn't have any metal leader material. If you can definitely check those areas out! The best area I'm told but could not confirm for DIY bonefishing is around Isla Mujeres and everyone says it's well worth the day trip. If you have a rental car then that really opens up area for you! Even further south of playa del carmen we passed a barrier island/bridge that had beautiful shallows all around it full of coral that I didn't get a chance to fish. If you do let me know how you do! In the lagoon on the backside of the hotel zone there are plenty of guides willing to take you into the mangroves for snook, snapper, and bones. You can probably get the same species at this barrier island I'm talking about. Look out for crocs in the estuaries. Usually the area is marked really well and its always best not to go wading around when signs warn you of crocodiles. At least that's a simple rule I try to follow. I wish there was more area to fish out there but its so packed with tourists that they have sectioned off a lot of nature so that the best coral reefs are protected for snorkelers and any semblance of a sharp rock or coral (fishy habitat) has been removed from the beaches. The inlets are a good bet though! Bait really moves through there even on a slack tide. Remember night time is the right time in those inlets!
            www.anglerswithoutborders.com
            Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Thanks for the info we were definatly looking into renting a car and trying some different places one day sounds like some good places to start.
              D Hawk

Comment

Working...
              X