Maiden Voyage for the "SS Metro"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden Voyage for the "SS Metro"

Yesterday marked the beginning of a new era for me. I made my maiden voyage in my new kayak! Mytmouse and I loaded up the kayaks and headed across the bridge to launch at the little beach near Hemmingways.

The plan was to bottom fish for spot, then live line around the bridge pylons. Weather conditions were ideal, so I was comfortable with this plan.

We got everything loaded and rigged, and away we went. This was my first time paddling my kayak, so I spent the first few minutes getting comfortable and getting adjusted to its characteristics. It's tippy in the first few degrees, but the sceondary stability is pretty good. I tried my best to keep everything within arms reach to minimize body movement.

We paddled out in search of spot. Mytmouse had the fish finder. We tried a couple of locations with no luck.

We paddled out further and further, then we finally found a location where spot were in pretty thick. I actually found the spot....go figure...mytmouse has a fish finder and can't find the fish. Good thing I was there...else we would still be out there looking for bait.

We set up a drift, and I was getting two per drift. Most of the spot were in the 5" range...some a little bit bigger. The fish bite bloodworm worked well. After about 20 minutes or so, we had enough spot in our livewells to switch to live lining.

We used 6/0 circle hooks for the spot, and sent them down to the bottom. This was our first time live lining...it was a blast! I felt the spot begin to shake...which was followed by a series of hits. I reeled it up only to find a small chunk of fish left on the hook. The blues were out in FULL FORCE!

^This was after about 20 seconds in the water^

In attempt to get my spot down past the blues for the stripers to attack, I added a small weight to the line. No luck with that. The blues continually got the best of the spot. Mytmouse pulled up a couple of decent sized blues, which were released. If we wanted to, we could've rigged for blues using cut bait and easily limited out. I was kinda amazed at how the blues knew to bit up until they got to the hook....then they wouldn't touch the remnants. I experimented with hooking a small spot thru the tail....they wouldn't touch it.

It was a fun trip, and a great learning experience out there yesterday. I learned quite a few lessons...some cheaper than others (that's all I'm gonna say about that). While I was able to reach my tackle in the stern storage area with ease, I now know what items I should keep up front with me in the cockpit. I already had items such as my knife, hook remover, fishbites, etc up there with me. But I had a breakoff and had to re-tie a new rig, so I had to reach back to grab things such as sinkers, bottom rigs, hooks, etc. It was easy to do, but perhaps I should keep some of those things in a more handy position.

I got two new coolers for the kayak. I got a small soft sided cooler for drinks and a collapsible cooler intended to use for my catch. I put my drink cooler in the bow storage area, but I didn't feel comfortable or stable when I tried to reach it for a drink. Next time I'll just consolidate the use of the collapsible cooler behind my seat. It's big enough to hold fish and drinks. I'll just separate things using plastic bags...or maybe I'll make a divider of some sort.

I can't wait to get out there again. We paddled over a mile from our launch. Combine that with the paddling while fishing...and the return trip...my shoulders were feeling the burn. The kayak performed really well. It paddeled with ease (except for when dragging the live well...ugh) and was moved me along at a decent speed. It tracked pretty well, but I definitely plan on adding a rudder for next year. Having paddled kayaks with rudders...I have to have one!

My fishing life has just changed.
    <insert witty comment here>

Awesome report. That Yak looks great. The list of items to add will grow over the next few fishing trips

Were you getting the blues right on the Pylons? They must be thick there now.

Sounds like you had a great trip.

Comment

We were getting bites not "right on" the pylons, but as we drifted between them, we got hits. Tide was incoming, and a lot of hits came just after passing under the north span.

I tried getting right on the pylon once and got hung up.

Comment

I tried getting right on the pylon once and got hung up.
        Same here! I think we might just have to get wit some of the livelinin pros so they can show us how its done... plus that current was no joke! it quickly pushed us past the pylons!

Comment

The Blues seem to hang in between the spans and about 10 yards away from the pylons. The rock stick close to the pylons. I like to paddle up and drop the spot right next to the pylon. I place the rod on the deck and lock the butt under my bum and paddle to hold tight to the pylons. With the double sets of Pylons you can paddle right into them and do the same. If you drift to far from the structure the blues will make quick work of the spot. I miss some fish because I'm late to set the hook but if you watch your line you can sometime see the take before the rod bends (change of direction of the line or sudden slack line. Other time the fish hook themselves.

If the wind and waves are making thing more difficult you can hit the pylon from the down current side and get into the eddy created just behind the structure. This make it easier to hold position.

Comment

Thanks for that information. It has been added to the memory bank for next time!

Comment

Oh and for the record...my "expensive lesson" I learned was not having my rods leashed. We called it an evening and began our paddle back to the beach. I had my rods in the flush mount holders behind my seat. When we got back to the beach, one was missing :-/

I guess I hit it with my paddle. This was a brand new setup...first time used.

Chesapeake Bay: 1
              Metroman: 0

When I was at BassPro, I looked for rod leashes. I saw one for $9.99. I said "shoot...I can make something cheaper than that for my paddle and my rods." Well I didn't...

Comment

Metroman - you were in good company yesterday when you lost the rod. I was out at the same place as you yesterday with my son on his first kayaking fishing trip. The rod started to come out of the rod holder and he reached for it and ended up going turtle. I just bought the rod and reel the day before. He didn't even get one cast with it. I tried to snag it off the bottom, but couldn't find it. That put a real damper on the fishing. We left around 11am. I had no problem locating and catching spot. I was totally skunked otherwise. Nobody was doing anything in the morning.
                -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

That sucks. Two rods lost to the BB gods on the same day. I hope they are satisfied for the rest of the year. I luckily have not lost any rods there but i did snap one in half

I saw a do it your self rod leash on another site that used a dollar store cell phone car charger, 4 zip ties, Velcro strip and a brass clip from Home Depot.

Cut the ends of the curly car charger. Loop one end around the brass clip and secure the tag ind with 2 zip ties. Make a loop on the opposite end and secure with 2 zip ties. Pass the Velcro through that loop and attach around the rod.

Comment

I'm definitely gonna make one. Cheap insurance

Comment

Sounds like a good christening of the new yak. I keep a 6" lure wallet with the lures/rigs I use most often in the cup holder in front with me so I don't have to keep reaching into my crate for things.

I also keep my food/drinks in my catch cooler. I put a 30gal trash bag in the cooler, and I put the ice and fish in it. I keep my drinks and food on the outside of the trash bag. This helps keep the cooler a little cleaner and keeps my food and drinks from getting slimed.
                      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Your kayak is the mad river kayak/canoe with out scupper holes right? One of the guys on here's buddy fishes out of one of those and likes it a lot. He fished up in Jamaica Bay with us this past May and it seemed like nice craft!

Sounds like you guys had some fun out there! Sucks about loosing your rod though! I've yet to pay my dues, but I know it's coming...

There are lots of tips for leashes, I prefer to use a piece of velcro with a key ring under it (one wrap around, key ring, another wrap so the rod doesn't get scratch up) and then I clip a brass clip with a piece of thin paracord. I figure if I get wrapped up in it, I can cut the cord easier than wire.
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

man loosing a rod and reel sucks guys. i use masons(braided not twisted) line now with velcro ties and a ss spring clip. the twisted line sticks to the velcro too much.

congrats on the maiden voyage. the down current side of the pylons is where the rock hide in the eddy.

did some shallows fishing in whitehall bay sat morning nothing spectacular yet, a couple small rock and some wp that were good size and some of the smallest spot ive ever seen

Comment

Working...
                          X