New Zealand North Island...wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand North Island...wow

Anyone else on this forum that has fished or at the least been to New Zealand will attest that there is nowhere else like it on earth. My wife and I just returned from a 2 week vacation there and I had the chance to do some snapper fishing in the bay of islands as well as some fly fishing on their world class wild trout streams near the town of Tauranga. This is early spring down there for them so it's a bit of an off season, but it was still a dream. hooked into a 4 lb rainbow on the fly, and he jumped 6 ft straight vertical out of the water, and narrowly missed a 6 lb brown trout. Snapper fishing was fantastic.

Interestingly kayak fishing doesn't have a firm foothold yet...starting to get going a bit more, and there are a few outfits that offer guided trips, but I never saw a soul on that perfect water. You could do incredibly well on a kayak just about anywhere...

They have some of the best king fishing, snapper fishing, marlin, and trout fly fishing in the world. If you are looking for a vacation spot to dedicate to fish (and golf--they have 400+ courses), do yourself a favor and save up and do it.

A trip to New Zealand / Australia is definately on my bucket list, but where are the pics???

Comment

From what I remember from researching fish finder installs and ocean kayaks back in the day NZ has a huge kayak fishing presence. I know some of the boats that are marketed over there were ported over to the states and have been well received. Maybe they were all fishing other water? I can't wait to get a chance to go out there for the fly fishing!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

new Zealand, along with Australia have a HUGE kayak fishing following, check out youtube videos of them on hobie adventure islands! those guys have some awesome riggin on there yaks
        sigpic

Comment

I visited the north island of New Zealand in July 2011. I was there with my family and had only 3.5 days, so I never got out fishing, but was able to witness some gorgeous rivers and lakes and see many fishermen. I posted several reports on Tidalfish at that time.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...ht=new+zealand

While in the trout fishing region, I bought a bunch of the lures that local anglers use to troll for large trout. Here is another story showing those lures.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...ht=new+zealand
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Big presence or not, I want in

Comment

Working...
            X