HRBT & Sekret Lokation 10/12-13 - 10 species - keeper stripers, red, togs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRBT & Sekret Lokation 10/12-13 - 10 species - keeper stripers, red, togs

Shadyfisher85 (Ryan) and I met and greeted each other in the VA beach area on Friday and Saturday. We left the Bmore/DC area around 3pm Friday and battled the traffic to get down south.

20MPH north winds were pushing up big swells around the southern portion of the HRBT. You could see 4-6 footers from the road. But the northern end of the bridge was fishable, and so we launched around 9pm and headed out into the darkness. We fished until almost 4am and caught many species, including small sea bass, croaker, puppy drum, ribbonfish, flounder, striper, bluefish, toadfish, silver trout. I won the weird award with 3 ribbonfish, which are very strange looking eel-like fish that look like millipedes... they fight really hard at first, and then just give up and you're not even sure it's on anymore. But Ryan won the quality award with some nice stripers at 19", 24" and 26" on (what I believe to be) an unlikely lure for that size fish! (I'll let Ryan fill in the details if he wants to). It was, at times, pretty rough out there, and we each got a bunch of new scratches on our yaks.

A few hours later, after a bit of sleep, we headed to a sekret lokation to get some tog. I won't say where it is from fear that someone will steal our spot. We caught many tautog. I got at least 15 and Ryan upwards of 20. We caught them mostly on blue crab, but also on fiddlers and whole shrimp. This was my first time going for tog, and as beginner's luck would have it, within 20 minutes, I had landed a 19 incher! Man those fish are awesome fighters. I had the tog on my stringer and was happy as can be. A few minutes later, I pulled up the stringer to get another look at my trophy, and it was gone! Somehow, the clip had opened and the tog had released itself. DOH! Eventually, I did hook up with another keeper at 17.5". Ryan also got one that size. The rest of the tog we caught were a frustrating 14-15.75", just below the legal limit. Nevertheless, they were a blast to catch and I now understand why so many people are tog crazy.

Around there, we (especially Ryan) also caught some sea bass, puffers, toads and Ryan got a big eel that escaped before he could get a picture, and a slot red!

Below are some pics. I'm sure Ryan will post some more and provide more detail. He's still out there fishing today.

Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Sekret Lokation: try not to look at the obvious landmarks.

Mike S.
    Hobie Outback

Comment

Mike S.
      Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice Work Mike, congrats on all the species!! .... and man I wish I knew where you guys were fishing, I want some tog haha

The water looks exceptionally green too!!

Comment

Welcome to the tog addiction!!! That spot looks slightly familiar to me?
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Kongrats on the nice fish! Those are some krazy blocks of koncrete....
            Now I kind of wish I had gone to Virginia beach....
            Sun Fishin'

Comment

Way to go! I need to get on some Tog.
              Cliff Williams
              Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

i dont wanna be that person, but is that kipto?
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by grilled View Post
                  i dont wanna be that person, but is that kipto?
                  lmao
                  Cliff Williams
                  Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

WTG!!!! I'm hoping to get down there this December with Metroman and Foursteps24. It's really messed up that those ships were anchored up on your spot like that... SMH. Where is the courtesy?

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                      It's really messed up that those ships were anchored up on your spot like that... SMH. Where is the courtesy?
                      Inconsiderate "Chesapeake Bay" anglers.

Hope you guys stayed WAAAAY clear of the pier.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice fish guys. But I think your fishing skills greatly exceed your ability to disguise secret spots

I have never caught a ribbonfish (aka Atlantic cutlassfish) before. They sure have a mouth full of teeth.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

It's the target ships!!

Oops did I just say that?

Nice fish.

Comment

I think he means the "sekret lokation" is which hole in the wrecks. There are hundreds. I think I tried that hole, but I didn't have any charismatic fiddlers so I only caught toads there. I won't tell them which hole, Chexone.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Exactly why I don't post detailed reports. Can't have sh*t these days. Nice going on the fish guys.
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X