9/25/10 - Breezy Point trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/25/10 - Breezy Point trip

I'm planning to try Breezy point on Saturday morning. Probably be on the water around 8:00 Am.

Its going to be the shakedown run of the new yak so the first hour or so will be spent moving things around and testing all the rigging i have installed. Maybe a couple of self rescues as well. Need to be prepared

I have never fished here before. Any tips for this neck of the woods? I will probably try to find a drop off and drift around for some croaker. Maybe do a little jigging as well. Is there any structure to key in on there?

The green can right out from the marina can be pretty good, good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the scoop. I will def check the can out.

Comment

Well the trip went really well today. The new Yak was great. I had to adjust the foot brackets a bit but i was able to find a happy area. I tried the can with no luck. Saw blue fish breaking one or two at a time all around me but could not get there attention. I trolled a spoon around for about an hour with no luck. Not an issue though as this was a breaking in / tweaking trip.

The one major problem i do have is self rescue in the new boat. I could not get in. I tried for 20 Min's and could not for the life of me get back in and mounted. I never had an issue with the tarpon before. I'm going out to SPSP tomorrow morning to practice again. I think i was tired from paddling all day but still this is not a good thing. I cant feel comfortable in a boat if i cant get back in quickly.

I fashioned a quick Stirrup out of some rope as another option to get in if my practice fails tomorrow. I plan on looping it around the paddle shaft and running it thru the scupper and under the boat. The paddle with anchor the rope to the deck and i can place my foot in the loop on the opposite end for more leverage. I hate to rely on other things to aid in re entering but this might be my only option until i can master this boat.

Comment

You can also use a paddle float. These are available at kayak shops. I got mine at Annapolis Canoe and Kayak. I use the foam type. It has a sleave in the cover that the paddle slides into. You can then put the paddle under a strap or bungee and it acts as sort of an outrigger to help stabilize the kayak as you reenter. Its a quick and easy assist. The float can also act as an emergency float such as what a seat cushion is used for in a boat.

Good luck with your reentry practice. It is probably somthing I should practice.

Comment

I was looking at those as well. I did not get a chance to get out and try again today. It was eating at me last night. I guess the extra weight I'm carrying is another factor to the issue

I will not go out fishing again until i have a solid plan to reenter this Yak. As stable and big water friendly this Kayak is i wont be able to fish comfortably until i have solved this issue. It is even more important with the colder water and weather on the horizon.

Comment

Thanks for the report. Did you try climbing in over the bow or stern? Was you PFD hanging up? The stirrup idea is a good one. Another trick I use is to push myself slightly under water, then I pull up, kick hard, and take advantage of the additional "push" from the buoyancy of the life jacket. This can be handy for climbing over the high gunwales of my Outback. Rigging a grab line to the side handle opposite the side you re-enter from could be handy, too, in case you can't reach that handle from the water.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Were you making use of the grab lines on the opposite side of the boat? My trident came rigged with grab lines that go down both sides. My trick is to pull myself up from the edge of the boat that I am on and then reach for the grab lines, and slide my hips and legs forward then scoot back somewhat. Pretty standard, but hard to describe in text. If you've got some time this week and want to go I'm interested in heading back to the bridge.

I guess we could even go in the Potomac, maybe the 301 area?
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

At first my vest was grabbing at the gunnel's. At that point my legs would drift under the boat and it would start to flip towards me. I countered this by swimming with the yak in front of me to ensure my legs were on top of the water. I could then vault my big belly onto the boat. This was after 5 or 6 attempts of trying to force my way on so i was a little winded. I just could not get from the lay down (belly on boat) to the side saddle position. The tarpon was a littler wider and lower to the water so it was never an issue. Thinking back now due to the frustration at the moment i might have been trying to rotate my hips the wrong way.

I was able to repeatedly get back on the boat later attempts but never got seated. I would flip while attempting.

lol I even got to a point where i was laying belly down inside the boat with my feet at the bow. I have no idea how i got in this position. I tried to do some kind of break dance snap roll to land on my back. The gathering crowd on the beach got a good laugh at that

I have scratches all over my legs from the rudder peddle tracks from that move

I did not attempt a bow or stern (cowboy style mount) as i wanted to ensure i could get back in with all my gear (rod holders, Crate in back, etc). But i should have at least tried to see if it was an option.

I'm going to try again this weekend and I'm going to resolve the issue. I have a stirrup in my vest now just in case.

I think i was close but did not take my time to settle in and move from the lay down to side saddle position smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                    Were you making use of the grab lines on the opposite side of the boat? My trident came rigged with grab lines that go down both sides. My trick is to pull myself up from the edge of the boat that I am on and then reach for the grab lines, and slide my hips and legs forward then scoot back somewhat. Pretty standard, but hard to describe in text. If you've got some time this week and want to go I'm interested in heading back to the bridge.

I guess we could even go in the Potomac, maybe the 301 area?
                    I did not think to reach for the grab lines on the other side. The more i think of it the more flaws i see in what i was attempting. I did not rotate my hip the right way. I was not attempting to sit side saddle instead i was trying to go from laying down to a seated (feet in boat position. This is not possible for me to do at this time. Maybe 10 years and 60 lbs ago but not at this stage

I would love to go this week but work is not gonna allow that. I need a vacation I cant even take a sick day because i can work from home. Maybe i can fashion a laptop mount for the Kayak with a wifi card

Comment

man i didnt see this until today, i would have went down with you to help and take some classic video

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                        man i didnt see this until today, i would have went down with you to help and take some classic video
                        I kind of wish i had it all on video. Not only would it be worth its weight in laughs but It would also be a great instructional video on how not to self rescue.

Comment

we had a self rescue practice at spsp in july 09, you would be surprised at how many people had a hard time getting in their yaks. we worked really hard to get them in and using good re entry practices. man the barrel rolls were outrageous LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X