X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what showed up at the house today

Ooohhh......
    What could that possibly be wrapped up like a giant burrito

After 10 Min's of ripping of plastic like a kid Christmas day and we have this.

Its a battleship.

I didn't realize how much bigger 15'6" was than 12'3"

This Yak is Huge and i love it. Should handle my hefty gut much better that the Tarpon 120. I Would also think this will have better speed and glide than the Tarpon. Looks fast.....

A went with the New rod pod cover with lots of mounting options if i chose to use them. The one thing I'm missing is the accessory tray in the Pod. I don't know if that was included with the new hatch. I will have to call and find out. The rudder is nice and big. I had issues getting it to raise but with a little tinkering its working smooth now. Not as smooth as the Tarpons deployment but not bad either.

I adjusted the seat and found it to be fairly comfy. The Tarpon seat bottom was more padded but i like the higher back on the OK seat. There is more storage in this boat than i can ever hope to use. A kid could hide in the bow storage area. The Rod pod looks great. I was hesitant about the foot pegs in the hull but with the rudder adjusted a found a happy area with my heels on the pegs and the ball of my feet on the rudder controls. Feels very good.

I did a test sitting on the rod pod but jumped up quickly. The deck seams pretty thin here. I will wait until I'm on the water to test this further.

The sonar shield looks like a nice addition. I'm going to have to scoot up the boat to play with the FF while on the water (Reason for testing the load capacity of the rod pod above). Its a good 5 feet away from the seat. I am planning to install the FF today if i can to allow a good set on the goop for this weekend.

With the added length i was worried about getting it on and off the SUV. For its size the yak is lighter than i expected. About the same weight as the tarpon and balanced well in the center where the handles are. Should have no issue loading and unloading this boat.

Ohh I'm stoked to get this on the water fish or not this weekend.

Nice toy!! That is a long beast. That thing should fly at nearly 16 feet in length eh?

TJ

Comment

Awesome boat!!!! I'm jealous of your new speed! I love my 13 but I really wanted the 15 for the extra speed!

I purchased the new mod pod lid and it did not come with the tackle tray. My guess is that its been cut out because it creates a gap that allows in water. I haven't put mine together (moving and traveling for work, fishing when I can) but I'm tentatively planning on using it for surf launches and just switch to a tupperware for my tackle.

My sonar is too far away too, but lately I've just been using the butt of my rod to adjust it. I need to find someone who knows what they're doing with those things to "tune" mine. Although, I think it's gotten better because I finally marked a large school and was able to tell!

I got a thin stick on butt pad to put under my seat, it's been a very welcome addition. Mine was like 8 dollars at a kayak shop in Charleston and somehow really makes a difference. I have spent over 10 hours in the seat before and after and I can tell you it's worth it!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice looking ride, Mike!! Must have been awesome to come home to that delivery!

That rod pod feature is real nice. Especially if you're going to do surf launches. The predefined accessory mounting options is also very ingenious! Great boat!

Good luck with it!

Comment

I am jealous of that Rod Pod cover... it won't fit my old Big Game... Nice ride though!

MYT

Comment

Just got the Transducer and FF mount out of the Tarpon. Just in time before the storm

Man that goop install was solid on the Tarpon. I had to us a chisel to pry the sucker loose. Finally got it out after 10 Min's of pulling pushing and cussing. I also got this goodie in the mail yesterday.

Very well made and nice and compact.

Comment

Originally posted by tj06sti View Post
              Nice toy!! That is a long beast. That thing should fly at nearly 16 feet in length eh?

TJ
              From what i heard its pretty fast. Not quite as fast as a tarpon 160 but close enough. On flat water without wind my cruising speed in the T120 was around 2.75 mph. That's the speed i could keep up for 20 Min's without major issues.

Hopefully i will see a tad over 3 with this boat at the same stroke. I need to get in shape

Comment

very nice, i think the navy would want to add some 50 cals and a torpedo launcher on that. i started out with a 16' tandem what a beast to get on top of my suv.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  Awesome boat!!!! I'm jealous of your new speed! I love my 13 but I really wanted the 15 for the extra speed!

I purchased the new mod pod lid and it did not come with the tackle tray. My guess is that its been cut out because it creates a gap that allows in water. I haven't put mine together (moving and traveling for work, fishing when I can) but I'm tentatively planning on using it for surf launches and just switch to a tupperware for my tackle.

My sonar is too far away too, but lately I've just been using the butt of my rod to adjust it. I need to find someone who knows what they're doing with those things to "tune" mine. Although, I think it's gotten better because I finally marked a large school and was able to tell!

I got a thin stick on butt pad to put under my seat, it's been a very welcome addition. Mine was like 8 dollars at a kayak shop in Charleston and somehow really makes a difference. I have spent over 10 hours in the seat before and after and I can tell you it's worth it!
                  Ahh now that i looked over the rod pod i see your point about the seal. This hatch seals tight. It takes a little push to seat it down but its snug and hopefully water tight.

I just installed the FF and transducer. I think i lost 5 lbs in water out there today. It is real humid here today. Does not feel like fall at all.

I think i will bring a stick to push the buttons on the FF or use the rod like you are

Now i just need to take her out fishing and decide what additional rigging options i will need. I think a fish bag would work well in the rod pod. Maybe a pool noodle shoved in there to stop it from sliding to the back.

When you put fish in the pod what do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                    Nice looking ride, Mike!! Must have been awesome to come home to that delivery!

That rod pod feature is real nice. Especially if you're going to do surf launches. The predefined accessory mounting options is also very ingenious! Great boat!

Good luck with it!
                    The pod cover is definitely a neat idea. I'm gonna use a scotty holder there temporarily until i decide where to place a permanent rod holder up front.

Comment

Nice boat. I have one myself. It is a faster kayak. I am 58 and could keep a 3mph speed up for a while. Particularly, when it was getting dark, before I had lights. Good that you got the rudder, as wind and waves will tend to grab that longer form. The rudder really helps with that. Then again, I am a rudder person. I had one on my big game also. I like to just paddle along.

I noticed you mentioned a stick for the buttons of the depth finder. I did that also. I had a longer dehooker that would just reach and fit the indent of the buttons. The one thing about the trident is you can put a leg over each side and shimmy forward. In warmer weather, I would always have my feet over the sides. With the big game I just turn side saddle, with feet in the water. Whoa, but watch out for those bull sharks.

I am glad that I moved on quickly to the next photo, because I was wondering where somone found that extra large condom for that burrito. Sorry, couldn't help that.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                        Nice boat. I have one myself. It is a faster kayak. I am 58 and could keep a 3mph speed up for a while. Particularly, when it was getting dark, before I had lights. Good that you got the rudder, as wind and waves will tend to grab that longer form. The rudder really helps with that. Then again, I am a rudder person. I had one on my big game also. I like to just paddle along.

I noticed you mentioned a stick for the buttons of the depth finder. I did that also. I had a longer dehooker that would just reach and fit the indent of the buttons. The one thing about the trident is you can put a leg over each side and shimmy forward. In warmer weather, I would always have my feet over the sides. With the big game I just turn side saddle, with feet in the water. Whoa, but watch out for those bull sharks.

I am glad that I moved on quickly to the next photo, because I was wondering where somone found that extra large condom for that burrito. Sorry, couldn't help that.

Have fun.
                        That Trojan magnum will come in handy while i store my Tarpon

I hear you on the rudder. I will never have another Yak without one.

When i was at Point Lookout several weeks ago. All alone on the water in rough windy conditions i did think twice about putting my legs over the side.

Comment

Wow, tarpon, you must have been watching Jim Sammons. I must admit, I have this thing about catching a sailfish from a kayak. A tarpon would be the ultimate from a kayak. They have such a large body. They just turn it against you and its tough to move'em. That would be an ultimate catch. Like the guy from Alaska, Howard McKimm, who caught that gigantic halibut. Fought the fish well into the night. After catching the fish, he decided to stay the night on an island and paddled home in the morning. Now thats a fish, kinda like the old man and the sea. Although, Howard McKimm is not old.

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

I use a $10 cooler grocery bag from Harris teeter, can't handle the big fish but anything under 24 I think fits. I have resisted putting a pool noodle in but I do clip a line around a scupper and attach the other clip to the tab on my Plano box when the water is rough. Seemed to work ok.

Awesome boat man!
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                              Wow, tarpon, you must have been watching Jim Sammons. I must admit, I have this thing about catching a sailfish from a kayak. A tarpon would be the ultimate from a kayak. They have such a large body. They just turn it against you and its tough to move'em. That would be an ultimate catch. Like the guy from Alaska, Howard McKimm, who caught that gigantic halibut. Fought the fish well into the night. After catching the fish, he decided to stay the night on an island and paddled home in the morning. Now thats a fish, kinda like the old man and the sea. Although, Howard McKimm is not old.

Good luck and have fun.
                              hahah. I only hope for a chance at a Silver King from the yak. When i was in my early 20's i spent several weeks 3 years in a row in Marathon chasing the big Tarpon at the seven mile bridge. Had many hookups but never landing any. They either jumped off or wrapped us around the bridge before we could release the anchor buoy. We would use big live horse mullet for bait (10" to 12"). They would just stay at the surface swimming along until the tarpon spotted them. Then they would would go crazy trying to flee and it would be followed shortly by a 150 lb missile exploding out of the water with mullet in jaw. It was the most exciting fishing i have ever experienced.

The only one that got within leader range was devoured by a 10ft hammerhead right at the side of the boat. A six foot fish gone in 2 bites. It was a humbling sight and depressing after a 40 min fight to have one so close. We were very nervous over the following days snorkeling for lobsters in that area.

I maxed out two credit cards trying to land one of the big brutes and never did. House on the water and 2 weeks boat rental will rack up some dept. Took me 5 years to pay it off. We are so foolish when young

I did catch plenty of 20 to 30lb tarpon at night casting lures at vaca cut. I love those fish.

That fish is still on my bucket list. One day i will make a trip back there and settle unfinished business.

The tarpon i was referring to was my Tarpon 120

You brought back some good memories though
                              Last edited by mmanolis2001; 09-23-2010, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X