Point Lookout State Park - 9/19/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Lookout State Park - 9/19/10

Went to Point Lookout State Park yesterday. Started fishing the rocks at the point around 10 am. Jigging a gulp grub, caught 1 20" striped bass and around a dozen flounder. 8 of the flounder were 18", may have been the same one, but none large enough to keep. The bite stopped so I moved to the light tower next to the channel. Nothing but a small flounder. I then moved to a 40 deep hole near the weather bouy out from the passage to the lake; the guide for the large tour boat said I could catch sea trout there. I jigged for a couple of hours but no trout, but did catch many very small spot on worms. I went back to the point to live line the spot for stripers and possibly a large flounder. No more flounder on the spot or jigging, and only caught one more 20" striped bass on the spot on the outgoing tide. The tide ended and no more bites so I tried jigging the gulp in the lake; the guide said this would work for speckled trout. No trout or anything else. Saw 2 bald eagles at the shore of the lake. It is a beautiful area and the current and waves were much easier to deal with than the bridge.

Thanks for the report. Nice work on the flounder even if they were slightly too small. I haven't caught one over 8" yet this year. That light tower is also supposed to hold stripers, too. I haven't been out there yet this year. Someone caught a nice speck at the mouth of St. Jeromes Creek last week, so they could be around. I'm still hoping to find some legal puppy drum at PLO this year. Early October was the hot time for me two years ago.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice work on the flounder. Thanks for posting. 18" ?!?! So close yet so far!!

Comment

Sounds like a fun time for sure! Those almost keeper fish are really frustrating sometimes.

How was the chop when you were down there?
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

It was relatively calm with little current, especially compared to the bridge.

Comment

Working...
          X