CBBT Sun 9-30-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Sun 9-30-12

This was the last day of weekend fishing. CBBT on Fri. TKAA tournment yesterday. And now CBBT. I was on the water before 7 am. HokieDJ came shortly after. Wind was light. Water was calm. It turned out to be a really nice day.

I had three dozen fiddler crabs, so my target was sheepies. As I headed out toward 1st island, I caught a few fish here and there using my usual jigging. I then switched to fiddlers, and then it happened.

At about 0945 hrs, BAM! I hooked up with a big one. This one was a great fighter. Spooled the reel several times. After landing it, I called Hokied DJ on the marine radio and said, "Hey, I just caught a monster." He said, "Ok, I'll be there."

After taking pics and the Sheepie was bagged, I continued jigging plastics and fishing with fiddlers. As you might imagine, I was "high" on that big catch. I was already happy with the big Sheepie, even if I caught nothing the rest of the day.

It was in the afternoon. HokieDJ had gone home already. I still had fiddlers. Then at 2:45 pm, it happened.......again.

Hooked up with another spool ripping fish. It was a good fighter, but not as good as the earlier big catch. I thought it was a keeper puppy drum. For a second, I thought it was a ray, but rays don't fight like that. It surfaced, and I was surprised. Another big sheepie!

What a day. Near perfect weather. Nice water. Two big sheepies. I couldn't have asked for more.

Total catch:
    4 sea bass
    2 weakfish
    4 toads
    1 croaker
    3 short puppy drums
    2 sheepshead (10 lbs, 4 ounces at 23", and 9 lbs, 8 ounces also at 23") (Citation is at least 10 lbs, so the second sheepie didn't make it)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Monster sheepshead!! Nice report!

Comment

Excellent man!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

WOW! That's awesome. Well done. Beautiful fish.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice work, Efren. It's good to see all your effort paying off. Congrats.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Your sir are the Sheephead King.

Good report and good fishing for you. Thank yoiu for sharing.

Meadeo
            2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Nice fish, Congrats! I'm heading down in a couple weeks, can't wait!
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Great Job Tufnik. I might have to have you give me a lesson on fishing the CBBT.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Sure, anytime, moc.

Ryan, I'm going down again within the next few weeks depending on schedule. Can't decide whether to target big reds or sheepies again. Sheepies should be good for another few weeks. Big tog reports should also be coming soon too when the water gets cooler..

Comment

October 20. That's my hopeful return to get my citation tog.

Comment

Gret jobs!!!

You guys reports are killing me. In two more weeks I will join you. Until then I am fishing vicariously thru you guys. At least I have my favorite chartreuse color

joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-03-2012, 05:39 PM.
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Virtual fishing via our reports? Cool. Glad we could help your recovery, Joe. Nice color selection of your foot bandage - you're a true fisherman!

For CBBT, weekend of 20th is doable. Maybe 27th too.

Comment

Working...
                        X